[THIN] Re: Kernel mode printer drivers

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:06:17 -0700

No, I do not want to install a crummy version-2 driver, but I have no
choice.   The driver comes with a software package called Accela Advantage
(formerly known as Tidemark).  It's a building inspections/code compliance
program.  It installs the driver via Installshield.  No .inf is given for
the driver.   I would love to substitute for a version-3 driver, but the
vendor does not support one.  The app makes some specific calls to the
driver to generate the PDFs.  What really sucks is that the driver
manufacturer does have one in a version-3, but my software vendor has not
upgraded to it.

adam

                      "Rick Mack"

                      <Rick.Mack@volant        To:       <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      e.com.au>                cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [THIN] Re: Kernel mode
printer drivers
                      thin-bounce@freel

                      ists.org

                      07/27/2004 02:06

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Hi Adam,

So you want to install a driver that could crash your server?

Don't know if I really want to help you commit suicide ;-)

Seriously, Microsoft put that policy in by default for  a good reason.
Kernel mode printer drivers can be really bad news on terminal services.
Besides it keeps vendors like Xerox from re-using all their old drivers.

Most PDF writers (even Adobe Acrobat!!!) are now available with non-kernel
mode drivers. This includes products like PDF995 etc.

It's important to realise that all your average PDF exporter printer driver
does is produce a postscript file wich is then converted to a PDF by some
other process. So you can often substitute a non-kernel mode postscript
driver for the kernel mode one.

If you can give a bit more detail as to which product you're talking about,
you might be able to have things running fine without a kernel mode driver.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx