[THIN] Re: ICA and RDP

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 08:20:49 -0700

The link off that site for the white paper on TS licensing is a great
resource as well.=20

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/terminal/TSLice
nsing.asp

Here's their latest comments on Win2k3 TS licensing. . .=20

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/ts2003.msp

And here's MS's thoughts on migrating existing TS cals to 2003.
Excerpted from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/overview.m
spx#transition

"Terminal Server Licensing Transition Plan
Microsoft realizes that the removal of operating system equivalency will
affect customers, and is committed to accommodating existing Microsoft
customers who would like to take advantage of Windows Server 2003
features.

Every Windows XP Professional desktop license that you own on the date
of the public launch of Windows Server 2003 will be eligible for a
Windows Server 2003 TS CAL. One of following scenarios will apply:

Customers with either platform or operating system component Enterprise
Agreements (EAs), or Upgrade Advantage (UA) or Software Assurance (SA)
coverage for their Windows desktop computers, will be eligible for a
Windows Server 2003 TS CAL-plus SA coverage on that TS CAL for each
covered desktop owned at the time of the Windows Server 2003 launch.
Customers who own Windows XP Professional licenses, without upgrade
rights-no SA/EA/UA-will be eligible for a Windows Server 2003 TS CAL for
each licensed desktop owned at the time of the Windows Server 2003
launch, but will not get upgrade rights on the TS CAL."