[THIN] High processor usage at logon

  • From: "Nick Smith" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:27:53 +0100

I have a TS 2003 Server (No Citrix) running with  currently  a max of 13
users - so far. This is a production server, but it's not high-powered
as it's our first.

I'm using perfmon to monitor, and am very pleased so far with what it's
telling me. Max memory usage is 34% (Only 1 GB of RAM), which goes up
from 13% when idle - so each user is using about 1.5% of my not large
RAM.

The bit that puzzles me - and worries me a little - is my processor
usage. This averages around 2% almost all the time - which surprises me
as I was expecting TS to start eating cycles. However, when people log
on, it shoots up to 60% usage very briefly(I presume while creating the
session and printers) before reverting immediately to it's usual 2%.

Now, 60% usage doesn't worry me very much in and of itself. What does
worry me is that as my users mount up, presumably I will get more
processor usage in the 'background'. Then the surge of +58% may start
getting me close to limits and start causing slowdowns.

SO, questions; (A) Is this low processor usage reasonably normal? (B) At
what point can I expect it to start ramping up?, and (C) and most
important: Am I right to be worried about the logon 'surge'? And if so,
is there anything I can do about it.

BTW, I know I should test this with more clients, and will when I have
the time and resources; I also know all environements are unique (FWIW
I'm simply publishing a desktop with standard Office Apps available).
What  I'm hoping for is any generalised thoughts.

Many thanks,
Nick

http://www.go-eol.com