[THIN] Flex Profiles / Save Positions of Shortcuts on publ. Desktop

  • From: "Hegg Peter" <Peter.Hegg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:42:06 +0100

HI all

we are running 20 MF XP/FR2 Servers on Windows 2000/2003. Some Users get
a published Desktop and others published applications. Today we have
normal roaming profiles that reside on a file server on the network.
From time to time we have problems with these roaming profiles. Users
suddenly lose their settings (default printer or individual settings in
applications like Word/Xcel etc). This of course is rather annoying as
users then have to redo all the personal settings.

To get around these problems we right now are testing mandatory profiles
together with the "flex profiles" tool (Microsoft Profile Wizard from J.
Kamp/Log in consultants). This works pretty fine and we can give users
back quite some flexibility even when using mandatory profiles.

But there's one thing that I cannot get to work. It is the position of
shortcuts on the published desktop. People are able to create their own
shortcuts on their desktop, but next time they login, all the shortcuts
are put along the same line on the left windows side and not where they
have placed it during the last session.

Maybe worth to mention is also, that we use GPO's to redirect startmenu,
app data folder and also the Desktop to the user's own home directory
into a hidden folder (folder redirection GPO).

Where are the desktop shortcut positions saved? Couldn't find it in the
HKCU!

Thanks for all your valuable input.

Peter Hegg
in4U AG