[THIN] Re: Dscheck Error any server farm

  • From: "cherie.watts Watts" <cherie.watts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:46:03 +0000

Hey Jhon

I am a little confused as to what the problem your reporting is.

Also you said that you have a 5 server farm with an Access Datastore...but
then you say that the first server is connecting to the Datastore on SQL and
that the other servers connect indirectly.

Firstly, you can only have 1 datastore, it's either an Access db or Sql,
can't be both.

Secondly...Connection methods,

   - if is SQL  then you have to purchase SQL connection licenses for
   each server that has a direct connection. If this expense isn't a problem
   then I have found direct is best.
   - If your using Access or a MSDE database then your limited to 10
   concurrent connections and indirect is necessary for farms larger than 10
   servers.

As for DSCheck, it must have a direct connection to the Datastore to
run...which is logical as it is checking the database integrity. Why do you
want to run it from each server?  I don't see any benefit in doing this. It
either passes or it doesn't, the results won't differ on different
servers....unless your running different versions of dscheck on different
servers, which is REALLY BAD.

Cheers

Cherie