[THIN] Re: Disk I/O problem

  • From: Michael Boggan <mboggan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:57:24 -0600

We monitor them with NetIQ and other utils.  The CPU and Memory useage are
minimal but the Disk I/O is through the roof.  Thanks,Michael Boggan

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:48:16 +0100From: mrdizzz@xxxxxxxxxxx:
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [THIN] Re: Disk I/O problemHow are you certain that
local disk I/O is your bottleneck?
On 12/18/06, Michael Boggan <mboggan@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

We do redirect the application data. It is redirected to a network share so
that should eliminate some local disk I/o, not create more.  Thanks,Michael
Boggan

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:24:33 +0100From: mrdizzz@xxxxxxxxxxx:
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Disk I/O problemHi Michael,Make sure that appplication data
is not being "folder redirected"?Regards, Michel.
On 12/12/06, Michael Boggan < mboggan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It would appear that pnagent is constantly writing to this folder.  Here is a
sample of what filemon returned.  Any idea what this is?  This is just a very
small sample from a few seconds of data.  PNAgent appears to be hammering the
disk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10:40:13
 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE  K:\Documents and Settings\gsmith\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat SUCCESS Offset: 110592
Length: 4096  10:40:13 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE  K:\Documents and
Settings\gsmith\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
SUCCESS Offset: 114688 Length: 4096 10:40:13 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE
K:\Documents and Settings\gsmith\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat SUCCESS Offset: 118784 Length: 4096
10:40:13 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE  K:\Documents and Settings\gsmith\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat SUCCESS Offset: 4096
Length: 65536 10:40:13 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE  K:\Documents and
Settings\gsmith\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
SUCCESS Offset: 69632 Length: 53248  10:40:14 AM pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE
K:\Documents and Settings\gsmith\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 512 10:40:14 AM
pnagent.exe:11624 WRITE  K:\Documents and Settings\gsmith\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat SUCCESS Offset: 0
Length: 4096
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks,Michael
 Boggan

Subject: [THIN] Re: Disk I/O problemDate: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:27:50 -0500From:
MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd try running filemon to determine what task is causing the I/O. Also as a
hunch I'd check your AV.
Matthew ShrewsburyNetwork Manager
-----Original Message-----From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael BogganSent: Tuesday,
December 12, 2006 10:19 AMTo: thin listSubject: [THIN] Disk I/O problem

We are in the process of doing a proof of concept with PS4 and new hardware,
etc.  We have 3 PS4 servers built.  1 as the DC, 1 as a published desktop
server and 1 as the published applications server.  Users login to a published
desktop and get there icons via the PNAgent running for each desktop.  The
applications are all published from the 3rd server.  We have roaming profiles
and the desktop and application data folders are mapped to individual folders
on the network so that they follow them around.   We are having problems with
disk writes on the desktop server.  For some reason the disk I/O is going crazy
on that server alone.  SO much so that the server lags tremendously.  ANy have
any idea why this might be happening?  If anyone knows of a way to determine
what is actually being written too, that would help as well.  We have tried
NetIQ and other monitors but cannot find anything that tells us what is
actually being written too on the disk. Thanks,Michael Boggan

Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live
Toolbar Today! Try it now!

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial!
Learn more!

Check the weather nationwide with MSN Search Try it now!
Use Messenger to talk to your IM friends, even those on Yahoo!
http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe