[THIN] Company splitting, now what?

  • From: richard van beers <richard.van.beers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Exchange Discussions <exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:19:24 +0200

Hi lists,

Im posting this to exchange, as well as thin, as the situation I find
myself in has a big impact on those two systems.

The company I am working for is splitting. For the sake of discussion
lets say we now have company "old", and soon we will have company
"old" and "new".
The trouble starts because company "Old" will keep the hardware, a DC
2003, an Exchange 2003, and a couple of Terminal Servers 2003, but the
NAME, domain + FQDN, will go to company "new".
Also, half the mail should stay in company "Old" (who will get a new
FQDN) and half should go to company "new" (with the old name).

Of course, during 6 months orso, we need to forward half the users
mail from oldname to newname.

What is my best strategy?
- I was thinking of buying everything we have again, adding everything
into oldname, replicating DC roles, exchange roles, cloning TS's.
- cutting them loose from olddom, and use RENDOM to rename the old
company to newname.
- lastly adding newname to outside DNS and redirecting oldname to the new IP.
Would that work?

 I can buy all new hardware as said but all that will be "Oldname".
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2