[THIN] Re: Characters display slowly issue

  • From: Anthony_Abraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:28:23 +1000

We have a similar issue with one application in particular (Attachmate
Extra) - ie users type but it takes a few seconds before it appears on
screen.  We have the cursor blink rate set to 1000.  Is this an optimal
setting?  Will disabling this (-1) make the users session more responsive?
Not sure what these settings really accomplish - can someone explain pls..

I will also try clearing the cache to see if that helps.

Thanks
Anthony

                                                                           =
                                         =20
                    Jim Kenzig                                             =
                                         =20
                    <jimkenz@concen        To:     thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      =
                                         =20
                    tric.net>              cc:                             =
                                         =20
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Characters display =
slowly issue                             =20
                    thin-bounce@fre                                        =
                                         =20
                    elists.org                                             =
                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                         =20
                    09/08/2002                                             =
                                         =20
                    00:24                                                  =
                                         =20
                    Please respond                                         =
                                         =20
                    to thin                                                =
                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                         =20

Indeed, I've found that turning off the cache completely actually improves
overall feel of the session and gets rid of the "lagging type" problem.

Fredster...

> On the client side, try clearing the bitmap cache for the ICA
> client (as
> opposed to IE's bitmap cache).  I've seen this several times
> before.  What
> happens is that the local machine is searching for the
> character bitmap in
> its cache to display that before downloading from the server.
>  If the local
> cache is sufficiently large, it takes more time than it would
> have been to
> download from the server.

Get and apply the wtsadm.zip file policy template from thethin.net
(http://thethin.net/wtsadm.zip)  There is a setting in there for cursor
blink rate that might help.

Regards,
Jim Kenzig