[THIN] Re: Cesura - Jim Read this.

  • From: Chris Buechler <cbuechler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:10:10 -0400

On 8/18/05, Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not sure where they got their list from but I was in contact with
> someone there this morning and he claims to have purchased it. Since this
> list has never been given out I can only assume it is from a different
> source.  If someone received this message on an email that they only use for
> this list I would be interested to know that.

The only thing I've ever used this address for is the various mailing
lists I'm on, all of which except this one are BSD, other misc open
source, and security related.  This is way too much of a coincidence
for it to not have been harvested off this list (whether they bought
the harvested addresses or not, who cares).

I don't think it was specifically taken from the master subscriber
list, I'm sure all of us that got the spam have posted to this list at
some point in the past.

Where ever they got the list, it had to be harvested from *some*
mailing list since that's the only place I've ever used this address.
Since this is the only list I've posted to that's even remotely
related to Windows or Citrix, I must surmise this has to be it.  I
haven't heard any complaints from any FreeBSD list posters that
they're getting spammed with Citrix info, and that'd be pretty darn
pointless anyway.  :)

Cheers,
-Chris
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2