[THIN] Re: Blade Servers

  • From: Brad Salazar <bradsalazar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:02:09 -0700 (PDT)

We've been using the Compaq/HP BLp series blades for
about 9 months. We have a mix of Citrix servers
running XPe FR1, FR2, and FR3 on W2K and soon to be
W2K3. Here were some of the major challenges.

Learning to automate the build process from begining
to end using a mix of SmartStart, Compaq Scripting
tools, and Wyse packaging. We don't image servers.

Successful testing and integration of the built in
chassis switches into our Cisco environment.

Working with the limitations of nic teaming due to the
odd number of nics available on the blade.

There are a few more but these were the majors. The
blade HW has been rock solid.

Hope this helps.

Brad

--- "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're running 14 IBM HS20s w/ XPe 2.0 on top of W2K.
>  Their dual 3.06
> Ghz, 4gig ram, single 40gig ata drive and an HBA for
> connecting to the
> SAN.  We boot from the SAN and use the onboard drive
> for swap and temp
> only.  Nice robust machines and we've seen no
> problems yet.
>
>   _____

http://messenger.yahoo.com
This Weeks Sponsor triCerat:
Have you had your fill of printing support calls, unauthorized apps running on
unsecured Terminal Servers, profile headaches, and application performance
problems? Join us and learn how you can have a less demanding on-demand
enterprise!
http://www.tricerat.com/?page=events#register