[THIN] Re: AIE - anyone using this for a Java VM and/or a browser plug-in

  • From: "Daniel Sidler" <daniel.sidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:14:59 +0200

Thanks Rick for this very compressive tip! I will give this a try and
let the list know about the outcome.

@Lee, @Stephen: I absolutely agree with you on the point that the bank
in question doesn't give a professional impression on their customers by
providing an e-banking solution which is based on technology that
everybody knows has no future, and they know it for more than 4 years.
When I say no future I mean MSJVM, not Java in general of course.

They have announced an "upgraded" version of their app, but refuse to
give a firm date on the release date. I managed to steer my company away
from using the app for 6 months now, by pointing out the security risks
and the additional headache caused by providing this trough Metaframe.
This worked for a while, but now they can't accept the fact anymore that
they have to use fax and telephone to initiate bank transactions on a
daily basis, which they consider a risk as well, and rightly so since
the volume is increasing.

So I try to make the best out of the situation by isolating the
application and running it from a single (virtual) backend server. This
will minimize my TCO on this particular app by not touching the live
production machines. In case the bank releases a proper solution
tomorrow (which, IMHO, should be purely web based) I will not have
wasted too much money on their MSJVM based solution.

Hope that makes sense ...

Daniel