[THIN] Re: AIE - anyone using this for a Java VM and/or a browser plug-in

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:40:49 +1000

Hi,
 The MS Java and Sun Java VMs are capable of co-exisiting.
 When you go to the control panel Java Plugin applet and tick the box to
enable Sun Java support in IE, you're manipulating HKLM values, and some
stuff under HKCU. That suggests the VM switch is machine-wide..
 So how do you run both VMs? Quite obviously using AIE allows you to
redirect the application's registry access to a custom virtual HKLM, or at
least the bits you want and fool IE into using one VM or the other.
 Technically, if you define an AIE for IE/MS JVM and you publish an instance
of internet explorer in that AIE, or run create a desktop shortcut to AIERUN
iexplore.exe etc, you should be able to change the relevant IE settings so
that they're saved in the redirected AIE registry.
 However there's an extra bit the may not work, and that's the HKLM settings
that control whether IE uses the Sun Java components are not. To handle that
you've got to run regmon to find out what keys/values are changed when you
enable/disable Sun Java support for IE via the control panel Java Plugin
Applet.
 Check that the MS JVM is running after you've done this, and then use
regedit to export the relevant registry keys.
What you'll then have to do is run up IE inside this AIE, and patch the
relevant AIE redirected values by editing the exported reg file from and
importing it into the HKCU AIE areas.
 That should give you an instance of internet explorer that uses the MS JVM.
It doesn't have to be a published app if you're using a full desktop because
you can use a shortcut to AIERUN to run up IE in the AIE wrapper.
 I hope this makes sense. If you get into trouble I'll set it up myself and
give you some more precise instructions.
 regards,
 Rick

--
Ulrich Mack