[THIN] 2003 TS license server and Windows 2000 Terminal Servers

  • From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:42:42 +0100

Sorry to make everyone groan again ...

But i was wondering whether anyone clould clarify 2000 Terminal Services
running in 2003 Active Directory with 2003 license servers.

We have a 2003 Active Directory environment and are running Windows 2000
Terminal Servies.

I understand that:

1. I have to add windows 2000 TS cals to the 2003 License serve in order for
non windows 2000 and XP devices to connect.

2. I cannot use Per User Licenses for Windows 2000 Terminal Services users

3. Per user licenses are not tracked by the 2003 License server.

4. i am slightly confused after seeing the following Technet Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837211

Right at the bottom of the article it says:
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, install Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services CALs
on the Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services Licensing server. Client computers
can successfully upgrade from a temporary Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
CAL to a permanent Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services CAL.

What it doesnt say is the type of Server 2003 TS Cals that should be added per
user or per device.

I read the good articles at www.brianmadden.com but they appear to cover my
scenario.

Thanks for you time.