[The Teacher List] Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes - The Joy of Stats - BBC Four

  • From: Pete MacKay <pete@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: theteacherlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 07:23:37 -0700

My Aussie pal, Nic Ryan, sent me this interesting 5 minute clip that compresses
200 years of development in 200 countries into 4 minutes. As Nic suggests, "it
is a great example of the use of statistics and would be a great discussion
started for social/health ed classes as well as stats classes."  From the
youtube pages:
Hans Rosling's famous lectures combine enormous quantities of public data with
a sport's commentator's style to reveal the story of the world's past, present
and future development. Now he explores stats in a way he has never done before
- using augmented reality animation. In this spectacular section of 'The Joy of
Stats' he tells the story of the world in 200 countries over 200 years using
120,000 numbers - in just four minutes. Plotting life expectancy against income
for every country since 1810, Hans shows how the world we live in is radically
different from the world most of us imagine.
--
        The URL:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

(Any time I recommend a YouTube clip that you cannot access because of district
filtering, just Google the title - it'll undoubtedly show up on some other
unfiltered site like SchoolTube or TeacherTube.  I'm sure we're all used to
this tactic now but it's worth a mention every now and then...)