[TheNoir] "There's No Place Like Home"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:02:04 -0800 (PST)

There's No Place Like Home
By Isabella Valentine and Vanir Wagner, featuring Ethera

Bella thought there was no way she was going to sleep.  She tried, but lying
there with her eyes closed only brought up memories and feelings.  She kept
replaying the last several hours over in her head...the encounter with Anita,
the pain of the knife in her belly, the fear of dying as her blood poured out
over her hands...everyone yelling at each other, the captain taking up for the
crazy woman who had already stabbed two crew members...and Shane.  She was too
damn conflicted when it came to Shane.

What had started out as just a few hours pleasure, a comfortable place to
sleep, had turned into a several day affair.  Their desire for each other
hadn't cooled and Bella had started looking forward to each time she saw him.
Even the thought of being more than lovers didn't repulse her.  Not that she
saw herself falling in love with him...but the thought of having a friend like
Shane, she liked.  They seemed to compliment each other pretty well.  She had
even considered telling him about her past.  Had.

Sighing, she turned over onto her side and closed her eyes.  She lay still for
a very long time before finally succumbing to a restless sleep.

Bella ran her hand down the bulkhead, looking at her familiar surroundings.
Shadowdancer.  She was home.  She wandered as a specter through the corridors,
a ghost re-visiting a ship full of ghosts.  She heard voices...

The core crew was sitting around the table in the captain's dining room.  Nate
sat at the head of the table, looking a little more brooding than usual.  Dan
smiled at him, reaching over to place a reassuring hand over his in a subtly
caring way.  Luke was in animated conversation with Sean about one of the new
holodeck programs they had designed.

Bella smiled as she moved onto the next face.  Michael, normally not without
his guitar, sat debating the finer points of Chaucer with Mr. Moran, the
quirky, yet lovable culture expert.  She wrapped her arms around herself,
taking comfort in the familiar, the sense of family, though the nagging sense
of something being out of place was there.  The seat next to Ambika was empty,
and Bella sat at the table wondering when Jawi would arrive.

"Fighting demons again?" Ambika, the ever vigilant empath leaned over and
whispered.  Bella nodded, a fear in the pit of her stomach growing.  Something
wasn't right.  This...it just wasn't right.  It took her a moment to realize
most of the people around the table were dead or far long gone.

The door opened, and everyone turned their attention, expecting Jawi or Micah.
Bella screamed as the image of Anita stood in the doorway, sharp blade in her
hand, dripping blood.  Her lips twisted in a sick imitation of a smile.

"Would you like to play some more, Isabella?"  she asked.

Bella sat up, gasping for breath.  A dream, she told herself, just a dream.

Vanir motioned for Ethera to stay seated.  He knew how violent a sleeper could
be when waking from a nightmare, for that was surely what this had to be.  Ever
so carefully, he placed a hand on Bella's shoulder.

"Wake up, Isabella.  You're safe here," he said.

"I'm awake," she said, with a measure of annoyance, rubbing a hand across her
eyes.

"You can never tell with these things.  It takes me a bit to be awake when they
happen," Vanir said, his voice full of memories of his own nightmares.
Gesturing to let Ethera know it was okay, he added "We came to check and see
how you were doing."

"I'm fine," she snapped.  Then taking a deep breath she added, "That wasn't
meant to be so harsh."

Vanir shrugged.  For once, he didn't flinch or take it personally.  Ethera
offered Bella a solemn pat on the hand.  "I told Mr. Wagner you got hurt and he
came to see you last night."

Bella furrowed her brow, "How did you know?"

Ethera shrugged.  "I just know things sometimes.  Like I can feel when Mr.
Wagner's upset or angry.  I could tell you were hurt."

"It's true.  She's done this to me several times," Vanir added.

Bella offered a small smile to the pretty little girl.  Then turning her head
to the side, she asked, "Were you always that tall?"

"I don't know but this dress used to be a lit closer to my ankles," Ethera told
her.

"I knew it.  I knew I wasn't seeing things," Vanir added.

Bella chose not to say anything.  Instead, she ran her hand through her hair
and drew her legs into an indian style position.

"We...had an encounter with that woman who hurt you," Vanir said quietly.  "She
is not well, not all."

"Mr, Wagner threatened her," Ethera added.  "I think she made him mad."

"Stay away from her," Bella said coldly, looking at both of them in turn.
"Stay away."

"I haven't lived as long as I have by being foolish, Bella," Vanir said, his
arms crossed over his chest.  "Believe me, I have an uncle who did a very good
job of teaching me how to avoid danger."

"I don't recollect callin' you foolish," she told him.  "I'm just sayin' stay
away.  Take it for whatever it's worth."

Vanir snorted softly and pulled up a chair.  "My apologies.  That came out
wrong.  I do understand what you're saying.  I told you when we first met that
you remind me of somebody I know.  That would be my uncle."

"Oh," Bella said quietly.  This was all just too much for her.  She so
desperately wanted to cry, but she refused.  She'd been weak enough.  "Would
you hand me that glass of water?" she asked, swallowing thickly.

Ethera looked up at Vanir.  She could tell Bella was upset but she didn't know
what to do.  The child handed her the glass then looked back at Vanir,
aquamarine eyes asking him to do something, knowing he always made her feel
better.

"Thanks," Bella said, sipping from the glass.  She was still sitting somberly
and feeling somewhat awkward with her guests.

Vanir shook his head.  If nothing else, he knew he might be able to goad her
into a smile.  "You must be hurt," he said nonchalantly.  "I do not believe any
woman could take a comparison to a very short and very hairy Canadian man who
smokes entirely too much as a compliment."

Bella offered a weak smile.  "I'm fine," she said, wishing they would just
leave her alone.  It was feeling more and more uncomfortable for her.

Vanir shook his head slightly.  She was  tired and would probably get back at
him for the remark later on.  Instead of pushing the issue, he stood up slowly
and offered Bella a smile.  "Now I can tell you're not well.  I think we will
leave you to your rest, Isabella."

Bella nodded.  Then as an afterthought, she said, "I'll watch her." She
motioned towards Ethera.  "When you're busy.  Don't leave her alone."

He knew he could trust her to take care of this child, whom he already loved as
family.  He didn't know if Bella had the strength to slap him or not, but he
took the chance.  He simply kissed her forehead then said, "Thank you.  Now, be
well, mein freund."

Bella just blinked in surprised, too shocked to say anything.

Vanir waited, just to see if she really was going to smack him.  It wouldn't
have surprised him.  He was simply trying to do what he would have done for
Rosie, who had to be one of his closest friends

Bella looked up at the blue guy and saw nothing but compassion.  And that did
it.  Large tears welled up in her eyes.  She looked away.

She could hit him all she wanted, but that was all it took.  Vanir leaned over
and held her to his chest.  "Tears are just another way of expressing pain.
It's okay."

And then Ethera came around the other side and took her hand.

Bella sat still at first, truly uncomfortable with the level of closeness, but
somehow touched that the two seemed to really care.  She broke down in tears
and actually hugged Vanir back.  For just a moment she forgot about the insane
woman on the ship and it started to feel like home.

http://mail.yahoo.com