[TheNoir] The Cycle

  • From: Johnathon Micheals <laughingcorpse07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Noir <thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:00:32 -0800 (PST)

The Cycle

by Cervin Molari and Shane Taggart

He sighed, Cervin wasn't going to enjoy the next few moments getting Shane to
the brig. M.E., in her way, was hardheaded; Shane could be no different.
Considering that Cervin didn't know the guy too well, Cervin was ready expect
it. Taking the pistol and securely putting it into his jacket he walked out of
bridge, telling John to stay put and man the helm. Cervin went looking.

Trey had just left, taking his bags with him. Shane had given the kid the
second glancing blow of real life and the kid was gone. Another empty quarters,
maybe, or somewhere else - Shane didn't give a fuck. Shane sat on the chair
that he'd replicated and put his feet up on the desk that he had replicated as
well. Anita's fight had zapped him of most of his strength, but he was feeling
good about how he had acted. "Anita, you stupid bitch, serves you right."

Cervin stepped out of the turbolift, long since having the computer locate
Shane. But he caught Trey, "Trey," Cervin perked an eyebrow up seeing the
younger man?s bags, "There are more quarters around, find yourself one and let
John know on the bridge. Power is usually off for those unoccupied." He let out
a breath, "Shane's in there, isn't he?"

"Asshole," Trey said, motioning towards the quarters that he'd just departed,
"Something's wrong with him, Cervo, and I don't know what it is."

"I'll deal with it," Cervin gave a reassuring reply, "don't worry, kid, he's
just pissed about something... most likely about Anita. Go, find yourself a
place." Cervin left Trey to his own and stopped in front of Shane's quarters.
He hesitated over the chime, but he pressed it anyway.

"Come on in, Marshall and slap my cuffs on," Shane called out, not moving from
his seated position. "You're coming in whether I say that it's all right or
not, so I'll save you the trouble, huh?" His eyes narrowed on the doors as they
parted and the man entered his quarters. He wasn't surprised that it was
Cervin; he figured M.E. would send in someone else. "Hey Cervo."

"Hey," he replied, looking at Shane, "I'll try and convince M.E. to have you
out of the brig. She'll listen, but... well, sometimes it won't go through." He
gave a tired shrug, "come on, man, let's go."

Shane tilted his head slightly, "Cervin, you know me better than that. Don't
you?"

He nodded, "I'm just hoping you won't put up a fight. Dammit, Shane, don't."

"You listen to me, Cervin. That bitch, Anita, was a nuisance. Not to mention a
danger to society. She attacked Bella twice for Christ's sake. She got exactly
what was coming to her," Shane stood up and moved over to the windows, placing
a hand on the bulkhead that separated the panes of invisible glass. "M.E.
promises to scold her for what she's done. What are we, ten? She didn't have
the guts to do what needed to be done, and I did."

"And she also stated to leave it to her. As far as I know, it's Bella that
pulled a phaser on Anita," Cervin raised his hands, "I'm not defending the
bitch, but I'm not on your side either on this. I'll let M.E. handle what she
does with Anita, You, and Bella. As for me," he thought about it for a moment,
"I'll help where and when I can. No more. I go out of my way, and I could have
my pink slip handed to me. Now," Cervin's tone went quiet, "are you coming? Or
are you gonna fight me too?"

"I'm not fighting you, but I sure as hell am not leaving," Shane smiled, "if
Captain Pushover wants to talk to me. She knows where to find me, I'm not going
anywhere."

"Than that's fighting me, Shane." An annoyed laugh came out of Cervin, "don't
put me in a rock and a hard place. You don't want that."

"Cervin," Shane said staring down his comrade. He didn't say an additional
word, but let his meaning linger. It was true, Shane wasn't going anywhere and
that much should've been obvious. It was time that he put his foot down and
this was it.

"Shane," Cervin replied, the warning was enough. If Shane was going to resist,
at least he had his chance to come peacefully. "Come with me, if not..." Cervin
shook his head, he wasn't going to finish the sentence. He didn?t want a fight.

"Get out, Cervin."

The pistol was already out, but it was just hanging still against Cervin's
body. He gave Shane the coldest look he could manage without letting his
frustration show. "I'm not going to ask again. You don't follow, and I will
shoot your arms and legs. And then I'll just transport you there."

Sighing, Shane looked at him. "Cervin, don't threaten me. This isn't a
Starfleet ship. I'm not an officer under Maureen Nicks 'super enforcer'. I'm a
man who needs work and will work with comrades to ensure the job is finished
for a payment. If she wants to talk to me, I'll be here."

Cervin didn't think he'd do it. Not to a friend, one that he owed. The first
shot range close to Shane's feet, "I wasn't threatening you. The next are your
legs Shane. It'll stun you, but it'll get the job done."

"Explain to me the reason for my having to go to the brig?"

"You caused a fight, Anita is in sickbay." Cervin closed his eyes, "I know.. I
know, she deserved it, but Shane, when M.E. decides to tell you the whole
story, she will. Right now, you're going. Under your own accord or not, you
will go."

"Explain to me the logic then. Anita attacks Bella, Bella in sickbay, and I
find Anita in the galley. Not in the brig. What the fuck is our psycho Captain
doing? Feminists? Favorites? Whatever it is, Cervin, I don't care. Explain that
logic to me and I'll go with you." Shane stared his friend down, folding his
arms.

"An endless cycle, that's what it is. That and home. Look at Anita, a woman
with no home. That is what M.E. is giving her. And if you, or Bella- or Anita-
for that matter- keep this cycle of beating each other, this will never end.
M.E. said she got Anita handled, then here you come busting Anita's ass. That
got you to the brig," Cervin holstered his pistol, "now then, come with me."

"Cervin, listen to yourself, you're fuckin' brainwash. She said she had Anita
handled the first time, but Bella still ended up assaulted again. I'm not
standing for it," Shane took a step towards Cervin, "Now, I told you, I'm
staying right here and I'll wait for M.E. to show up, but I'm not going
anywhere."

"Fuck this," Cervin had enough and holstering the pistol was a bad idea, but it
was out already, aimed, and fired. The round got closer to Shane, who stepped
back from the blast, "come with me now."

Without thinking, Shane lashed out with his leg and knocked the gun to the
ground. "Cervin. I'm. Not. Going. Anywhere. If you've known me to be any type
of person, it should be that I'm a man of my word. I won't go anywhere until
the Queen shows up."

Cervin took a step back, second pistol out. "Then you're going if I have to
drag you there," he fired again, this time aiming at Shane's legs.

Tucking and rolling, Shane rolled and grabbed the fallen pistol. Turning,
bracing himself against the wall, Shane fired at Cervin's feet. "Get out,
Cervin, and save yourself some time. Why can't you believe me that I'll stay
here. Are we now suspicious of everyone on board?"

"Your boss, my boss, our boss wants you in that brig. And that's where you're
going," Cervin had already moved away from Shane?s shot, and Cervin aimed his
weapon squarely on Shane's chest, "don't think I won't pull this trigger."

"Do it," Shane said, standing to his full height and smiling wickedly.

"If you say so," he pulled the trigger.

Shane's grin faded as the blast impacted his chest. He stumbled backwards,
looking at Cervin, "Good...the cycle continues..." His eyes glazed over, still
wickedly wretched as they were when they stared Cervin down a few moments
before, and then Shane blacked out and collapsed to the ground.

http://mail.yahoo.com