[TheNoir] "Angry Tears Through Bitter Tears"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <groundzero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:02:59 -0800

“Angry Cries Through Bitter Tears”
by Shane Taggart

His eyes were narrowed and a sickening smile had long since spread across his face. There was a throaty chuckled that he’d held since sickbay, but it managed to free itself and escape into the turbolift. There was a satisfaction of taking a stand and upholding his previous Romulan principles. If Bella and her ragtag crew of miscreants were captured by the Empire, it was their own fault.

Again, he grinned wickedly as the thought of the torture and interrogation of her crew came into his head. It was a blissful thought to watch them writhe and scream in pain - for deceiving or hurting the Empire, torture was getting it easy. Shane felt the adrenaline coursing throughout his body and pumping to every inch of his extremities; for the first time in a long time, Shane felt completely alive.

The corridor was dimly lit, power reserves being stored for a later date, but Shane’s eyes adapted and he trudged down them. He felt hunched over and the maniacal nature of his thoughts almost made him shudder. Rounding a corner he saw his quarters and walked inside. It was dark, he liked it that way, and strode into his bedroom.

“Shane?”

He stopped and swivelled on his heel, “What the hell do you want?”

Trey looked offended as he emerged from the bathroom. He was washing his hands off with a towel and tilted his head inquisitively. “Uh, I live here with you, remember? Shane, you look like crap, are you OK?”

Shane blinked, suddenly remembering who the young man was and how he came to be acquainted with the ex-Romulan. “I remember. Why haven’t you found a place for yourself?” Shane took a step towards him and tucked his hands behind his back.

“You said I could - ”

“Or, perhaps,” Shane said, shrugging, “you like leaching off those that you think can bring you the most gain. That’s worse than a Ferengi. I offer you a way off that worthless scrap heap of a station and you hold on like a parasite feeding off blood.”

Trey shook his head, unsure of how to respond, “Shane, I didn’t. You said that I could stay here with you. That you would ‘take me under your wing’ was your exact phrase.”

Shane sneered evilly, “Why don’t you cry about it? You think you’re too young to jump into real life? Do you feel that it’s unfair that you have to be subjected to the atrocities of mercenaries and their lives?” There was a deep chuckle as Shane looked out at the stars.

“Shane, this isn’t you,” Trey said, putting his hand on Shane’s shoulder. Trey had begun to care for Shane as an older brother, a guardian, a sibling that he had never had but had always wanted. It hurt him on a deep level - Trey knew that Shane was having trouble with something.

Grabbing Trey’s hand, Shane twisted and shoved the younger man’s face into the bulkhead. It was going to leave a bruise and he knew it. Internally, there was a cheering for more pain and more punishment. Shane twisted the arm more, harder and harder, wanting nothing more than to hear the bones cracking under the pressure. “Don’t you want to call out? Scream?”

There was a minor struggle before Trey gave up. “Shane, you’re hurting me,” the voice came out almost as a whimper. The movement from Trey was no longer an escape move, but a way to relieve the agonizing pain ripping through his arm.

“No shit I’m hurting you.”

“Shane, please...”

Again, Shane lifted the man’s arm in a direction it wasn’t designed to go. There was another cry of pain, followed by a mix of terror and angst. Somehow, in some sick way, it was soothing to Shane’s ears. “You’re going to beg? I didn’t say beg!”

Trey gave into the temptation and his eyes watered at his impending doom and the horrible sensations traveling up his arm and into his neck. “God, Shane, don’t. I’m sorry! I’ll move out! I’ll leave the Noir! I didn’t want you to feel like I was holding you back.”

There was a cackle. It emanated from Shane and he hurled Trey across the room and over the couch. The tumbling sound was enough to make him smile again. Torture - what a splendid thing. Shane leaned over the sofa and stared down at Trey who was clutching his shoulder. “You’re pathetic. You know who else was pathetic? Radi. That whore.”

“No!”

“Yes!” Shane said, “She sold you out and you love her more than life itself. I’ll never understand the human compulsion to love those that aren’t worth the time or effort. She was going to turn you into Destis! You were going away for a long, long time!”

Trey lashed up with an arm that was easily deflected. Through sobs, Trey shook his head, “She wouldn’t have done it. She didn’t! She helped us get out of there. You owe her everything that I owe her. Your life! Your freedom!”

Jumping back to his feet, Shane waved his arms around wildly, “Then let’s all get down and praise the ground that Radi walks on. The girl deserves our love and our devotion more than anyone. I wouldn’t be anything without her.” Word after word dripped with sarcasm; if it could’ve pooled on the floor, it would have.

“She was better than that...” Trey muttered.

“She was better than what, Trey? She was better than selling you out? She was better at being practically a prostitute. The only thing that she had that was admirable was the quality of looking out for herself and no one else,” Shane god down on his hands and knees and stared Trey in his eyes. The tears streaking down his cheek made him smile more, “You could’ve learned from her. Not to be stupid.”

He didn’t see it coming. Trey spit at him, an angry scowl etched across his now chiseled face. There was a determination that Shane had never seen and a love for a fallen sibling that he had never experienced. “Go to hell, Shane.”

Wiping the wet substance off his cheek, Shane ripped Trey to his feet and threw him towards the bedroom door. “Get your things and get the hell out.”

“Gladly.”

“You can go stay with your sister, Trey. Oh, wait, she’s dead.” He laughed a bit as he pressed himself into the enclosure behind him between the wall and the window. There was a shuffling sound behind him as the clothes that Trey had were stuffed into a bag and slung over his shoulder. “Don’t let the door hit you.”

Trey looked at him, “I hoped you were better than this.”

Looking at him, Shane nodded, “I hope she was alive long enough to beg and plead for her life before they put her out of her misery.” His mouth twisted up on the side into a conniving smirk. “Goodbye, Trey.”

Trey accepted his defeat and left.