[TheNoir] Re: Secrets

  • From: Lrahnluhvoot@xxxxxxx
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:12:22 EST

"Secrets"
Alex Rae

Whenever she was near K'lor there was a feeling that came over her.  A
mixture of excitement from a small touch of fear and the sighing breath of
being
safe.  She knew it didn't make any sense.  It was what it was.  She also knew
that Harrison was jealous of him but that in his own strange way respected the
warrior.  As K'lor watched her from his position in the living room area of her
suite standing tall and steady, as usual, his huge hand massed around her tiny
daughters fingers, who was now just learning to walk, she smiled, and wasn't
at all offended that he didn't smile back.  She propped her foot up on her arm
chair and zipped up her other boot and then walked over to grab the
mini-phaser that she always wore in her back holster.  But as soon as she rose
off the
bed the sharpest pain hit her temples like a sheet of glass was thrown at her
head warp speed.  She doubled over and thought she heard herself cry out in
pain.  K'lor was there instantly, holding her up and setting her back down on
the bed.

"Another one?", he asked.  His black almost brown eyes searched her face with
concern but without sympathy.

"Yes."  She held her head and smiled at Josephine who had tripped into the
room and was trying her best not to fly over to her mother.

"I'm okay.  I guess it's a good thing Anais is making me come in."

K'lor grunted and straightened up, taking, once again, her daughters small
hand in his.

"I will escort you now.  We will waste no more time."

Alex wiped her nose with the back of her hand and looked at the blood that
was left there.  "Shit.  What the hell?"

K'lor hoisted her child up in his arms and took Alex's arm roughly.  "We go
now.  No more talk, woman."

She wasn't sure how they got to sick bay.   All she knew is that K'lor had to
support her, half carry her and that she heard him, more than once, mutter a
Klingon curse under his breath.
Anais took over once she was on the bio-bed, the room now deserted of blood
and mayhem from the day before.  She ran diagnostics and tests for what seemed
like an eternity and administered several hypo sprays to Alex's system  while
the Klingon stand at guard at the sickbay doors.  Finally, after it seemed
that Anais had enough of him, she threw him out and told him to wait outside
threatening him with experiments of ancient embalming techniques.

Once he and her child were gone, she took her hands off her console, pulled
up her swivel chair and put her hands on her lap.  "Would you like the good
news or the bad news first?"

Alex sat up, the drilling in her head finally subsided and gave the doctor a ‘
Pah-lease, give me a break' look.  Anais understood and sighed.

"Well, it seems that the hormone levels induced by carrying a genetically
altered baby has greatly affected the inner workings of your nervous system and
your body is now trying to re-group.  It's trying to come back to normal but",
she shook her head, "it's seems that your own physiology is fighting against
it.  You are at extremely dangerous levels."

"For what?"

"If we can't get your system under control you will die."

Alex stared at her for a second and then knew that she was serious.  She
didn't expect to hear that.  How many times had she been under heavy fire, how
many times did the odds say that she wouldn't breath any other breath, and
now...this.  This.  To think her life could be taken in a way that was
so...sneaky.
So...unassuming.  Bullshit, she thought.  Her fighting instinct pushed every
pathetic, vulnerable thought out of her mind.

"What do we do?"

Anais stood up from her chair and sat down beside her on the bio-bed.  She
looked at her closely and then smiled.  A rarity in the doctor.

"I knew you wouldn't give up without a fight.  That's what your going to
need."

Alex pursed her lips and steadied herself for what was about to come because
she knew by the look on the Egyptian woman's face that there was something
about to knock her for a loop.  Anais took her hand in hers.  "Alex.  This is
going to get worse before it gets better and there is not a damn thing I can do
about it.  You are going to be in the hands of the Gods.  You have at least an
eighty percent chance of death.  Alex swallowed but took it all in calmly.
Your headaches will more and likely become unbearable, perhaps even stopping
the flow of blood enough to cause you to pass out.  If you do come out of this
it will be because life is not through with you - it will be nothing you do in
and of yourself."

Alex nodded when she was through and took a deep breath.  She squeezed the
doctors hand and jumped off the bio-bed.   "Just tell me one more thing."

Anais raised her brows.  "Anything."

"Will it matter if I occasionally ‘kick a little ass' here and there?"

Anais got off the bed and softly laughed.  "I don't think anything in the
world would be able to take that from you, Alex."

"Well", Alex said, flipping her hair off her shoulders.  "I guess I'm good to
go, then."

Anais nodded toward the doors.  "Be at peace."

Alex gave her a small wave and headed for the doors.  Before she walked
through them Anais called her name.  Alex turned around.

"I meant to tell you.  I like your hair."

Alex smiled.  "Thanks."  As she walked through the doors, she thought it was
funny what people noticed, even in times of stress.  Her hair.  She had left
it natural that day.  Almost every day of her life she would mess with her hair
in some way.  She always straighten it, dye it, cut it, spike it.  It didn't
matter - just as long as it wasn't natural.  Harrison would tease her about
it.  When he was her handler he would say that she if she couldn't change her
hair in some way she couldn't go on her mission.   But everything was different
these days.  She was a mother.   She felt like just being herself.   She
remembered coming out of the shower this morning and grabbing her straightening
lotion and then looking at the way her curls spiraled down to her hips.  The
way
the different colors in her hair, the blonde, brown and honey strands wrapped
around each other so that no one could really say what her hair color was-
brown, blonde, red, and thinking, what's wrong with the way it is?  I don't
have
to hide myself here, on the Noir.  This was my family.  So, she had left it as
is.  Maybe, leaving it had been some kind of premonition, like going out of
the world the way you came in.

 K'lor and her baby girl were waiting for her in the corridor, and she
thought, ‘Hell no!  I just felt like a change'.    She smiled at the two of
them for
a second and then took Josephine's hand out of K'lor's and into her own.
"Let's walk to the music room before we go back.   I'll play something for you."

K'lor watched her closely for a second.  "What did the doctor say?"

Alex shrugged.  "It's nothing.  Just bad headaches."

The Klingon gave her a sidelong look.

 Alex shook her head.  "Later."

He nodded.  They walked the rest of the way in silence.  When they reached
the music room she actually thought of thanking Cole the next time she saw him
for taking his grand piano on board with them for the trip.  She hadn't played
for a long time and as soon as she walked into the cherry wood paneled room
decorated with gold and blue curtains, queen anne couches and chairs with the
baby grand in the center of the room, she knew she would be able to find some
peace here.

K'lor and her blonde haired daughter took a seat on one of the couches and
Alex sat down on the bench.  She looked at the shiny black Pendarott with awe.
It was a magnificent instument.

K'lor watched the slender woman cock her head slightly to the side and then
gracefully raise her hand to the keys.  She began to play a melody that stirred
the depths of his soul to a sweet mourning.  He had never heard anyone play
like that before.  There was always the harshness of technique, or ego, or
over-wont practice that belied creativity.  But this diminutive woman played a
universe of emotion with the tips of her fingers.  When she was done he set his
jaw hard refusing to show any sign of longing.  Secretly he wished his vow of
life for life would never be fulfilled and he could stay next to her side
forever.