[TheNoir] "A Deeper Cut"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:57:46 -0800 (PST)

A Deeper Cut
By Shane Taggart and Isabella Valentine, featuring Anais Adarah

Anais immediately went to work on the girl's wound.  She cut away her shirt and
washed the cut to thoroughly assess the damage.  Bella was becoming a little
delerious at this point from the blood loss.  Anais calibrated a hypospray for
a mild dose of pain reliever.  She didn't know if Cervin or M.E. needed to talk
to the woman, so she didn't want to put her completely out.

"Shane," Bella mumbled over and over, crying ever so slightly.

Anais figured that he must mean something to her and would offer some sort of
comfort to the poor girl.  As soon as she stabalised Bella enough, she called
for the Captain and for Shane.

His eyes bolted open from a not-so-sound slumber when he heard the feminine
voice calling him to sickbay.  Shane hadn't been on the crew that long.  He
knew Cervin and Bella, had briefly discussed his future with the Captain, and
Trey was his current charge.  His mind raced as he raced himself down the
hallway to the turbolift.  In seconds he strode into sickbay, his eyes darting
directly to Bella's body on the biobed.  "What the hell happened here?"

"I don't know," Anais, told him, her hands deftly working over Bella's midriff.
 "Cervin brought her in like this...she kept asking for you.  That's all I
know.  M.E. should be on her way, too."

"Cervin?"  Shane looked around, "where is he now?"

"Said he'd be back.  I gave the girl a mild sedative, so she's still aware.
What's her name?"

"Isabella," Shane said, half blowing off the doctor. "Bella, who did this to
you?"  He knew asking her for that information was a shot in the dark and he
would probably have a better chance of getting a response from Cervin, but he
ventured anyway.

"Shane?" Bella asked, confused, a combination of drugs and blood loss.

He placed a hand on her forehead, "Yes, Bell, I'm here."

She smiled briefly.  "It hurts."

"I know it does, but just hang on.  Bell, do you know who did this to you?"

"Psycho girl from brig," she said slowly, the medication clouding her thoughts.

His mind swam - he didn't know who she was talking about if there was any real
person at all.  "Name, Bella, I need a name.  What's her name?"  Anais pulled
at his arm slightly, indicating that his antics weren't helping the treatment
of her patient, but Shane pressed on.

"I forget," she mumbled.  "It wasn't Allea, I know that.  Blue boy's girlfriend
wasn't the one in the brig..."

Shane blinked, lost in a whole new world of panic and confusion.  Allea.  The
name sparked new meaning for him down in the darkest reaches of his soul.
Shane chalked it up to delusion, thinking that he may have mentioned his
ex-lover in a simple conversation.  "Either way, I'm finding her and I'm going
to kill her."

"No!"  Bella nearly screamed.  "She's crazy.  Just stay...away."

Anais had thought Shane would offer comfort to her patient but seemed to be
upsetting her further.  She gave him a disapproving look.

"I'll be back."  Shane turned, a scowl on his face, and marched out the door.

http://mail.yahoo.com