[thebigjewel] Yikes, Virginia! The Further Correspondence of Virginia O'Hanlon & Mr. Francis Church - November 27, 2002

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 06:58:25 -0700 (MST)

* It's getting close to Christmas, and with that comes some Christmas-
themed humor from The Big Jewel. Enjoy Dan Fiorella's first piece, and
remember to check out Big Jewel contributer Jay Pinkerton's hilarious new
Web site The Trailer Trash (http://www.thetrailertrash.com) aftewards. Have
a great week!

Yikes, Virginia! The Further Correspondence of Virginia O'Hanlon & Mr.
Francis Church
By Dan Fiorella

We all know of the Christmas of 1897 when a perplexed young girl wrote to
the editor of the New York Sun in her quest to prove the existence of Santa
Claus. Mr. Frank Church's stirring response truly defined the spirit of
Christmas for all generations. And the phrase, "Yes, Virginia, there is a
Santa Claus," has become the rallying cry of all true believers. But the
story doesn't end there.

4/12/1898

Dear Mr. Church,

Thank you for your wonderful answer to my letter. My family was very happy.
And my little friends now truly and forever believe in Santa Claus. But now
my friends are saying there is no Easter Bunny! What am I to do? Papa still
says if you read it in the Sun it must be so. Please tell me the truth, is
there an Easter Bunny?

Signed,

Virginia O'Hanlon

4/20/1898

Dear Virginia,

How terrible a place this gray little planet would be if there were no
Easter Bunny! Why, no Easter Bunny? Then your friends may as well say "No
springtime," "No joy," "No love!" They are wrong, Virginia, for as long as
the human heart beats and carries in it generosity, devotion and charity,
there will forever be an Easter Bunny.

Francis Church
Editor, NY Sun

You think this is it? You think the article ends here? Oh, you haven't even
seen HALF of it, friends -- hop on over to http://www.thebigjewel.com/ for
the full version.

---
To subscribe/unsubscribe from this email please mail a SASE to The Big
Jewel, c/o This Address Doesn't Exist, Not A Real City, U.S.A., 00000.