[texbirds-freelists] Re: [texbirds] Tropical Mockingbrd vs Aberrant Northern Mockingbird

  • From: David Hanson <DHanson139@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:53:09 -0400

Here are three pictures of the Tropical Mockingbird I took late yesterday
afternoon. Two are of the Tropical Mockingbird as it was flying into the
tree it  and the Northern seem to be building a nest in. You can clearly see
the tail  feathers spread in the two shots. I offer no opinion because I am
not familiar  with this species.
David Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area

In a message dated 4/21/2012 11:28:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
crharrison@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Texbirders,

I still remember the first time I saw a  Tropical Mockingbird in the
lowlands
of Tabasco, Mexico.

I remember  thinking, "Wow, if this bird ever showed up in the US, there
would be no  way to tell it wasn't just a slightly aberrant Northern
Mockingbird.   Good thing they aren't migratory."

So now I ask the same  question..how do we eliminate the more likely
explanation of a slightly  aberrant Northern Mockingbird that simply lacks
the white wing patches (has  anyone seen the tail feathers well?)?

Are their vocalizations  any different.

Chris Harrison

San Antonio,  TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds