[texbirds-freelists] Re: [texbirds] Tropical Mockingbrd vs Aberrant Northern Mockingbird

  • From: David Hanson <DHanson139@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:58:23 -0400

Whoops I forgot to put the Link on the note I just sent out.

_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=1809959435&k=QG8X3F5_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=1809959435&k=QG8X3F5)

David Hanson

In a message dated 4/24/2012 1:53:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
DHanson139@xxxxxxx writes:

Here are three pictures of the Tropical Mockingbird I took late yesterday
afternoon. Two are of the Tropical Mockingbird as it was flying into the
tree  it and the Northern seem to be building a nest in. You can clearly see
the  tail feathers spread in the two shots. I offer no opinion because I am
not  familiar with this species.
David Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area

In a message dated 4/21/2012 11:28:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
crharrison@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Texbirders,

I still remember the first time I saw  a Tropical Mockingbird in the
lowlands
of Tabasco, Mexico.

I  remember thinking, "Wow, if this bird ever showed up in the US,  there
would be no way to tell it wasn't just a slightly aberrant  Northern
Mockingbird.  Good thing they aren't  migratory."

So now I ask the same question..how do we  eliminate the more likely
explanation of a slightly aberrant Northern  Mockingbird that simply lacks
the white wing patches (has anyone seen the  tail feathers well?)?

Are their vocalizations any  different.

Chris Harrison

San Antonio,  TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds