[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Rice U birds

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:48:44 -0500

Hi there,
just wanted to report on some urban birding in Houston. Finding migrants at
Rice this spring has been hard work, so hard that sometimes we're about to
give up. Numbers are low, but it's still been rewarding.  However, things
have finally started to pick up. It's nothing like Russ Pitman or Edith L
Moore because they thinned out the understory.

Best birding so far has been in the open soccer field and surrounding
weedlots and oaks trees between Rice Blvd and the Wellness Recreation
center.  Almost all the birds are seen/heard at sunrise and a couple hours
after.  We tend to pick up waders and gulls at this hour for some reason.

Migrant highlights from Monday include
   Common Yellowthroat 2
   Indigo Buntings - 5
   Blue Grosbeak - 1
   Yellow-breasted Chat - 1
   Summer Tanager 1
   White-eyed Vireo 1
   GULL-BILLED TERN 1 - a new bird for campus
   Bank Swallow 2
   Barn Swallow 2

Tuesday (today) produced
   1 eastern kingbird
   1 eastern wood-pewee
   1 black-throated green warbler
   2 common yellowthroats
   3 indigo buntings
   several Barn Swallows and Northern Rough-winged Swallows
   white ibises, little blue herons, 1 green heron, black-crowned and
yellow-crowned night herons
   1 Swainson's thrush
   1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
   1 Black-and-white Warbler

as of March 1, we've totaled 94 species of birds at Rice. Highlights so far
have included Anhinga, Roseate Spoonbill, Gull-billed Tern, Sprague's
Pipit, Wilson's Snipe, American Woodcock, Northern Harrier, and our
somewhat resident Peregrine Falcon (lives at the medical center)

CT LEE
Houston

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds