[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Old Port Isabel Road and Aplomados 7

  • From: Terry Fuller <terrywfuller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 14:49:09 -0500

I can report that it is dry throughout.  Though there are two sections of
ruts the most significant is the northern aspect of the road just S of Hwy
100.  Despite this the tracks that are drivable are well worn.  If it does
not rain it is easily driven by a standard car.  From the S off Hwy 511 you
can drive 3 miles on perfect non rutted caliche.  The route all the way
north to the bridge is easily driven with only modest ruts and a good one
lane path.  I passed a sedan coming South.

I went to Palo Alto Battlefield to look for the Aplomado there but without
success.  Many Cassin's Sparrows though.  Definite Patch butterflies are
abundant at the visitor center.  Since I was on 511 I drove over to Old
Port Isabel.  Coming up from the S just after you cross the tracks the road
curves to the east.  At this curve there is a nest station and a pair of
Aplomados.  I saw one along the tree line.  At the shooting range the road
again heads north.  I saw two falcons before the bridge (far off and
difficult) which is shy of typical numbers.  In the northern stretch
between the bridge and 100 there was one bird.  At the hwy 100 I turned
east  The single bird for this area was up on a high wire.  Another pair at
the Old Port Isabel road that goes north from Hwy 100.  There was a
Chihuahuan Raven pair up this road.  Another falcon was up this road a
small distance again far off.  Total for effort seven falcons.

--
Terry W Fuller
San Benito/Harlingen

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds