[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] High Island Morning 4/6/12

  • From: David Hanson <DHanson139@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:02:59 -0400

Jan and I had only the morning to bird but we made the best of it. Started
at Tos Hooks site just after day light. Not a lot moving early but did find
a  Yellow-throated Vireo and Palm Warbler in the same tree. While 5 of us
were  trying to look at them suddenly they took off and right behind them was
just a  blur as a Sharp-shinned Hawk swooped down and took one of them.
Could not tell  which was the unlucky victim. The Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks
are still in the  field at the SW quadrant of FM 1985 and H-124. The plowed
field just East of the  Anahuac NWR entrance had no birds showing in it at
7:15 this morning. A few  Scissor-tailed Flycatchers along FM 1985 and up
Pear Orchard Rd to FM  1941.

Boy Scout Woods  BSW
Smith Oaks  SO
Hooks (TOS)  H

List from 0730 to 11:00 AM  4/6/12

Red-eyed Vireo   BSW, SO  (lots of these)
Summer Tanager   BSW, SO
Orchard Oriole   BSW
Cedar Wax Wings (near old flag pole)  BSW
Eastern Wood Pewee  BSW,  SO
Prothonatary Warbler  SO, BSW
Black and White Warbler  BSW, SO
Northern Parula  BSW
Yellow-throated Vireo  H
Palm Warbler  H
Gray Catbird BSW
N Cardinals  BSW, H, SO
White-throated Sparrow  SO, BSW
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  SO (2)
Red-bellied Woodpecker  SO
Carolina Wren  BSW
Sharp-shinned Hawk  H

Black-burnian Warbler H (not seen by us)

A few pictures from yesterday and today.
_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=1782435003&k=cdhRcdS_

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=1782435003&k=cdhRcdS)