[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Lost Maples SP, April 6-7th 2012

  • From: Joe and Renee Fischer <fischer13@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 18:04:53 -0700

My family and I spent Easter weekend at Lost Maples SP.  It was a wonderful week
with pleasant temperatures and great to see everything so green with a decent
mix of wildflowers in some areas.  Golden-cheeked warblers were very easy
pickings and Black-capped Vireos could easily be found on the high plateau of
the East Loop, but none found on the West Loop.  A Hutton's vireo nest was
present along the beginning of one of the trails, but it never was very willing
to pose as it stayed up high and the changing of the parents on the nest was
very quick.  Some pics from the weekend can be found below with it mostly being
Golden-cheeks, Canyon Wren, Ash-throated, and the difficult Hutton's.  In the
gallery, you can also find several shots of the long lost Surfbird from my trip
to Corpus a week ago.

http://www.pbase.com/joe_e_fischer/new

Lost Maples SNA (HOTW 061), Bandera, US-TX
Apr 6, 2012 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Birds seen on April 6-7 while staying in the park.
36 species

Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  20
Swainson's Hawk  10
Red-tailed Hawk  4
White-winged Dove  6
Mourning Dove  8
Inca Dove  2
Eastern Screech-Owl  2
Great Horned Owl  2
Common Poorwill  1
Black-chinned Hummingbird  25
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  15
Eastern Phoebe  2
Ash-throated Flycatcher  6
Loggerhead Shrike  1
White-eyed Vireo  15
Black-capped Vireo  8
Hutton's Vireo  2
Western Scrub-Jay  3
Common Raven  7
Carolina Chickadee  20
Black-crested Titmouse  7
Canyon Wren  7
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  20
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Northern Mockingbird  4
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  3
Yellow-throated Warbler  1
Golden-cheeked Warbler  12
Chipping Sparrow  6
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  6
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
House Finch  3
Lesser Goldfinch  5
 Joe Fischer
Friendswood, TX
www.joefischerphotography.com

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds