[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Highlights from trip to Throckmorton County

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 11:51:36 -0700

I spent the bulk of yesterday attempting to add Throckm
Greetings All:

I spent the bulk of yesterday attempting to add Throckmorton County to my TCC
list.  The attempt was successful (the topic of a separate post) but I wanted
to get the highlights off before I forgot them.

Highlights from Garza County: 3 Western Kingbirds (my FOS) just west of the
Garza/Kent County line; 13 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers along Highway 380 from
Post to the Garza/Kent County line.

Highlights from Kent County: 4 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers in Jayton; 2 Common
Ravens west of Clairemont.

Highlights from Stonewall County: none.

Highlights from Haskell County: 1 Eastern Wood Pewee north Vontress.  The bird
seemed a tad early, favoring the Eastern Wood Pewee ID, and I was able to
elicit call notes.

Highlights from Throckmorton County: 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 Great Crested
Flycatcher, 2 counter-singing Bell's Vireos, 1 Blue-headed Vireo, and 1
White-throated Sparrow at Lake Throckmorton; 1 Eastern Wood Pewee at the
intersection of CR 190 and CR 195; 2 Chipping Sparrows at the intersection of
CR 195 and Chamberlain Drive.

For those interested in other critters: there were some Zarucco Dusywings (I
think - spring duskywings are challenging) in the riparian area below Lake
Throckmorton ... and Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnakes are definitely on the
prowl ...

... as are
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
chiggers.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock