[texbirds] Re: texbirds Digest V4 #305

  • From: Judi Williamson <jjwmson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 10:29:46 -0500

On Oct 31, 2015, at 12:05 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
<ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

texbirds Digest Fri, 30 Oct 2015 Volume: 04 Issue: 305

In This Issue:
[texbirds] Austin Area RBA
[texbirds] Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Heard Museum Bird Banding/Census, 10/28/2015
[texbirds] Late MacGillivray's Warbler in Lubbock
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Red-necked Phalarope yes at 11:00 AM
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
[texbirds] Smith Point Hawkwatch report for Oct 30
[texbirds] golden crowned kinglet in waco
[texbirds] Re: golden crowned kinglet in waco

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:02:49 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Austin Area RBA
From: Nate McGowan <natemcgowanbirds@xxxxxxxxx>

This is the Austin Area Rare Bird Alert. This update is as of 10/30/2015.
Send interesting sightings, complete with species name, location, and
contact information to Nate McGowan at natemcgowanbirds@xxxxxxxxx.
-Exceptional birds in the RBA circle-

A juvenile BROWN BOOBY continued at Windy Point on Lake Travis*, Travis.* The
bird has been perched on a buoy between Bob Wentz County Park and Mansfield
Dam; it was most recently reported 10/29.

-Rarities found this week-

A single WHOOPING CRANE was described in a passing flock of Sandhill Cranes
in Lago Vista, *Travis*, 10/25 and five WHOOPING CRANES were described
flying over a residence near Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir, *Bell*, 10/29.

A great day at Windy Point on Lake Travis turned up a SAY'S PHOEBE, two
HORNED LARKS, A LARK BUNTING, and a PYRRHULOXIA*, Travis*, 10/28.

Individual ZONE-TAILED HAWKS were seen at a private residence in west
*Travis*, 10/25 and at Webberville Park, *Travis*, 10/28.

A RINGED KINGFISHER was well described from North Shore Park on Lake
Bastrop, *Bastrop*, 10/25.

PYRRHULOXIAS were seen at Commons Ford, *Travis*, 10/27, Lake Creek
Trail, *Williamson,
*10/29, and a private residence near New Braunfels, *Comal*, 10/29.

A MAGNOLIA WARBLER was a great find at Devine Lake Park, *Williamson, *
10/26-10/27.

A SAY'S PHOEBE was photographed at Windy Point on Lake Travis*, Travis, *
10/28.

Two BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRDS were late at a private residence in west
*Travis*, 10/25.

A TRICOLORED HERON was described from Waller Street in Austin*, Travis*,
10/23.

-Continuing birds from previous weeks-

An ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD continued at a private residence in western *Travis
County*, most recently 10/27.

A CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD continued at a private residence near New Braunfels,
*Comal*, 10/29.

A RINGED KINGFISHER continued at Inks Lake Fish Hatchery, *Burnet*, 10/29.

A GREAT KISKADEE continued at Berry Springs Park in Georgetown, *Williamson*,
10/28.

Reports for the Austin area RBA cover a 60 mile radius, centered on the
Capitol in downtown Austin. Bird sightings mentioned here have been
filtered and scrutinized by the compiler and are believed to be genuine.
When documentation or photographs were provided, that is mentioned along
with the other information about the bird(s) being seen. For questions or
updates about birds mentioned here, or to report rare or unusual bird
sightings in the Austin area, please send an email to
natemcgowanbirds@xxxxxxxxx.

Nate McGowan
Rare Bird Alert Compiler
Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Apologies up front...BUT
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:21:36 -0500

I think I found my Christmas gift for this year...Santa willing! This is
too cool. All 730 birds of No Amer on one poster. ;)
http://popchartlab.com/products/birds-of-north-america?trk_msg=7INTUDR6643KD1GQ6QLVPLTU34&trk_contact=KDREVP9TKL6FTD3LK9CVIDVIUG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Sure+to+be+critically+ac-craned&utm_campaign=Birds

oh yeah, and to fulfill the basic requirements: the Sandhills and and
Teal are flying over for the past couple of days. May try to get to
Brazoria NWR this weekend, weather permitting Sunday? to catch a
glimpse of the Whooper.

--
Monte Phillips -
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:34:32 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Apologies up front...BUT
From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>

Uhm, first, there are more than 740 birds in North America. Second, Hawaii
is not part of North America. The poster does not even have all of the
regular Texas birds on it.
May be a nice poster, but the promotion material is patently false and
misleading.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think I found my Christmas gift for this year...Santa willing! This is
too cool. All 730 birds of No Amer on one poster. ;)

http://popchartlab.com/products/birds-of-north-america?trk_msg=7INTUDR6643KD1GQ6QLVPLTU34&trk_contact=KDREVP9TKL6FTD3LK9CVIDVIUG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Sure+to+be+critically+ac-craned&utm_campaign=Birds

oh yeah, and to fulfill the basic requirements: the Sandhills and and
Teal are flying over for the past couple of days. May try to get to
Brazoria NWR this weekend, weather permitting Sunday? to catch a
glimpse of the Whooper.

--
Monte Phillips -
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

------------------------------

From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:42:15 -0500

True enough....but a neat poster, huh? ;) About as accurate as
Cornell ornithology though....probably where they got their
information. lol

<mailto:monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think I found my Christmas gift for this year...Santa willing!
This is
too cool. All 730 birds of No Amer on one poster. ;)

http://popchartlab.com/products/birds-of-north-america?trk_msg=7INTUDR6643KD1GQ6QLVPLTU34&trk_contact=KDREVP9TKL6FTD3LK9CVIDVIUG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Sure+to+be+critically+ac-craned&utm_campaign=Birds

oh yeah, and to fulfill the basic requirements: the Sandhills and and
Teal are flying over for the past couple of days. May try to get to
Brazoria NWR this weekend, weather permitting Sunday? to catch a
glimpse of the Whooper.

--
Monte Phillips -
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips
-----------------------------------
The lack of money is the root of all evil.
Mark Twain

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

--
Monte Phillips -
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips
-----------------------------------
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and
Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The
business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being
corrected." GK Chesterton

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 09:03:16 -0500
From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Cornell ornithology.
I have emailed a complaint to the poster company. They apparently supply a
lot of posters to schools. Were this poster to be used in a school
environment it would be a significant disservice to the students.

-----

From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 14:59:58 +0000

While the poster is visually attractive and demonstrates the great diversity
of birds in the USA, it is unfortunately typical of what passes for
educational materials. It is misleading, the small stylized birds have little
resemblance to the actual birds and the advertising dialogue is as Jim
states. And we wonder why the nation's youth are poorly educated?

Oh for the days of one room school houses. That is why so many families are
turning to home schooling. Fortunately many families attend out nature
classes which include outdoor activities where the see and experience the
real deal.

If you want to help kids learn about birds, take them birding. If you want
them to see the diversity of birds, take them to the zoo.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324

Harris County Precinct 3
Steve Radack Commissioner
www.pct3.com

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:05:20 -0400
From: Tom Heath <heathwtom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Heard Museum Bird Banding/Census, 10/28/2015

The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary, McKinney, TX
Bird Banding & Census Report
Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2015
Banding Team: Craig, Denise, Janiece, Judy, Karen, Linda, Sandy, Tom, Jan,
Jean, Kacy, Sherri,
Susan

Total species banded - 11
Total birds banded - 16

White-throated Sparrow - 1
Field Sparrow - 1
Fox Sparrow - 1
Northern Cardinal - 3
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Myrtle Warbler (Yellow-rumped) - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Brown Creeper - 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
Hermit Thrush - 1
---------------------------

Total species recaptured - 3
Total birds recaptured - 4

Northern Cardinal - 1
Carolina Wren -1
Carolina Chickadee - 2
---------------------------

Georgette's census
Heard Nat. Sci. Mus.& Wildlife Sanct, Collin, Texas, US
Oct 28, 2015 7:30 AM - 9:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling 3.0 miles
39 species

Canada Goose 18
Wood Duck 3
Mallard 2
Great Egret 1
Black Vulture 4
Turkey Vulture 17
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 59
Mourning Dove 3
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 9
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 3
Downy Woodpecker 6
Northern Flicker 5
Eastern Phoebe 4
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 5
American Crow 11
Carolina Chickadee 9
Tufted Titmouse 7
Brown Creeper 1
Winter Wren 1
Carolina Wren 6
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Eastern Bluebird 10
Hermit Thrush 3
American Robin 23
Northern Mockingbird 5
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Fox Sparrow (Red) 1 Caught by the banders.
White-throated Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Spotted Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 4
Red-winged Blackbird 9
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Great-tailed Grackle 1
View this checklist online at
---------------------------

Tom Heath, Plano

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:43:57 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Late MacGillivray's Warbler in Lubbock
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>

Greetings All:
Just after the heavy rains that lashed Lubbock this morning, I went out in
my backyard to rehang my hummingbird feeders (it got a bit windy overnight)
and flushed my yard's first ever Brown Thrasher!

I also noticed a smallish, warbleresque bird working the bigger lantanas
and got in close enough to get a bare eye view of a gorgeous, male
MacGillivray's Warbler. This is about as late as one can expect to see the
species in the Lubbock area - though we do have a couple of records from
early Novembers - and I am looking forward to the sighting getting flagged
by eBird:)

How I love that 'after the rains' smell.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:48:18 -0500
From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>

I received a most unsatisfactory reply from the company. I would encourage
any of you who feel as strongly about this 'teaching aid' as I do to also
email your concerns to the company.

permission from the List Owner

From: "David Hanson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"dhanson139" for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Red-necked Phalarope yes at 11:00 AM
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:02:38 -0500

Phalarope here at original location now
David Hanson

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

From: Beth McBroom <bethmcb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:31:48 -0500

Consider the source. The company name is *Pop* Chart Lab and the owners
are a graphic artist and book editor, not ornithologists.
I think it's a cool poster and looking at it reminds me of a few new birds
I'd really like to see and brings back memories of birds I have seen.
Though I didn't see anything on the website that indicates they market to
educational institutions, perhaps if students see it hanging on the wall of
their classroom, they will be motivated to find out more about these
beautiful and varied creatures. With further investigation, they may learn
a lesson about evaluating publications with a more critical eye. With more
time, I'd try to figure out which birds Jim says were left out and learn
something myself.

Here's the description from the seller's website:

Perhaps our most ambitious taxonomical undertaking yet, this is your field
guide to EVERY bird of North America! The product of over 400 hours of
intricate illustration work by our talented team of artists, this
unabridged aviary features over 740 fair-feathered friends drawn to scale
and sorted by species, covering the continent’s complete avifauna (both
native and introduced, as designated by the National Audubon Society and
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology) from common sparrows, jays, and owls to
rarer birds such as the Greater Sage-Grouse, the California Condor, and the
Whooping Crane. An ornithological opus like no other, this classificatory
treasure is perfect for amateur and eagle-eyed birdwatchers alike.

Each poster comes packaged in a Pop Chart Lab Test Tube. See the menu to
the right for finishing options, and please note that framed prints require
an additional 3-4 business days of processing time.

Using 100 lb. archival stock certified by The Forest Stewardship Council,
this poster is pressed in Long Island City with vegetable-based inks.

Beth McBroom
​Helotes, TX ​

From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead" for DMARC)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:38:28 -0400

My quick view of the poster and first thought was that it was a big
misrepresentation, needed a new purpose/ title and could only serve to
overwhelm
and discourage trying to learn how to find and id bird species. Suggested:
i.e. Artistic representation of a variety of some of the bird species found
in North America.*

*See a Field Guide or internet resources for identifying field marks and
range maps to see which birds live near you.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 21:06:14 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Bob Baez" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"caau99" for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Smith Point Hawkwatch report for Oct 30

Smith Point Hawkwatch report for Oct 30. Bob Baez reportingfrom Smith Point,
Chambers County, Texas Migrants 5 NorthernHarriers 8 Sharp-shinned
Hawks 2 Cooper’s Hawks 5 American Kestrels

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:09:01 -0700
From: "john muldrow" <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"qmuldj" for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] golden crowned kinglet in waco

had a golden crowned in my dad's yard in Waco today. seems a little early

john Muldrow

Waco

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:49:20 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Re: golden crowned kinglet in waco
From: Laura Paulson <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We saw a Golden-crowned Kinglet here at Guadalupe River State Park
yesterday. I looked at my ebird reports from last year and I reported them
here Oct 25.
Laura Paulson
Spring Branch, Texas

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM, john muldrow <
dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

had a golden crowned in my dad's yard in Waco today. seems a little early

john Muldrow

Waco

End of texbirds Digest V4 #305