[texbirds]

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:27:54 -0600

Not that it matters, but I do tend to think of S. Texas as this huge
geogrphical with the actually Rio Grande corridor being only a fraction of
it. However this is the vortex where the majority of folks head for
birding if on limited time or from out of state., I love March, I love
Jan. and Feb. too. Each has advantages....For many years when I birded the
actually Valley the one weekend I always tried to make was Presidents Day
weekend...I just bird there much anymore. One thing totally I agree with
Dan on is the windy March...Birding in windy conditions has never been my
favorite thing to do.
Birding at either month can be great both months in S. Texas....My
favorite birding is in Kenedy, Webb, Jim Hogg. When one sits down with a
checklist, one finds there are not really all that many expected Native
birds that can only be found in the Valley proper. In lots of cases S.
Texas species can be found in much greater abundance elsewhere (I.E.
Audubon's Oriole, Tropical Parula, FPOW etc. and they are very vocal and
active in March especially up in Kenedy Co.
An added, advantage, if you wanna call it that, is the hordes of winter
birding eyes, concentrated in the Valley, are for sure going to be finding
more of the unexpected rarities vs. the back roads of say Jim Hogg Co.
which seldom gets that many [birders]....However for many, such as myself,
that absence of crowds makes for a much more pleasant pleasant
experience....But were I in SD, I too would be coming at the time when the
weather be worst up there....And consider a King Ranch trip regardless of
what month you visit.
Brush Freeman
Senior Wildlife Biologist/Partner. Bio-Spatial Services Inc, TXESA,
Independent consulting.
www.biospatialservices.com <http://www.biospatialsevices.com>
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621