[texbirds] (no subject)

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 18:59:16 -0400 (EDT)

Saturday June 1, 2013 Jan and I and a couple of friends went to Smith Oaks
in High Island and I had a couple of surprises. As we headed over the
Trinity  River bridge on I-10 we noticed a flock of large White birds following
the river  South. They were 25 American White Pelicans which I thought were
pretty late in  the year here. At Smith Oaks rookery there were still a
number of Great Egrets  and some Roseatte Spoonbills building nests. There were
babies in many nests and  even some eggs or very little babies still that
mothers were sitting on. Some of  the Great Egrets had babies that looked
almost as big as they were. I don't know  if these birds are just now nesting
or
maybe re-nesting. A few pictures we  took.

http://smu.gs/Zp2dWq

This is a picture from our resent trip and was taken at Kerr Wildlife
Management Area. At the time I was concentrating on my target bird the
Black-capped Vireo I eventually found and photographed. I thought that they
were
going to be Common Ground Doves and I finally got around to look at the
pictures  today and now I am not so sure. I would appreciate any input anyone
has.
http://smu.gs/Zp2dWq

We had a Mississippi Kite in the tree here at the house around 1 PM today.
I think that is our first here.

David and Jan  Hanson
Galveston Bay Area Master Naturalist
TOS Member