[texbirds]

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:39:01 -0600

Hi Texbirders,

I had a number of responses to my ID question about the black backed
gull last weeeknd.

All agreed with my species ID of Great Black-backed Gull.

However, the age of the gull brought diverse opininions.

Looking at Sibley, I thought it was a 1st winter and about 60% of the
people agreed.

The rest thought it was a 2nd winter or 2nd cycle gull.

I do not know if it is still there, as I haven't been down there since
Sunday morning, but will check again this weekend and post either way.

Thank you to all those who replied to my query.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX