[texbirds] more on the vagrant Glossy Ibis at Brazoria NWR

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 19:26:15 -0600

Have been doing more research, including talking with knowledgable
people.  Also much closer examination of the photos I took.   I also
would failed to mention mention that the bird was approximately 100yds
across the tidal flats from me when the pictures were taken with a Canon
100-400L.  The wife and I both used our binoculars (8X), and there was
no sign of the distinguishing red eye of the White faced Ibis.

Upon examination of the the pics it was also determined that there was
no hint of of red or pink on the legs or knees.  Also the slight light
speckling on the head and neck is a characteristic of the adult
non-breeding Glossy.

Given all that, I am fairly convinced that the bird I took the pictures
of, was indeed, a vagrant Glossy Ibis.

The links to the pictures are
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips/BirdsBrazoriaNWR?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfkg_-4ntXiWQ#5958020617714760754
and
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips/BirdsBrazoriaNWR?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfkg_-4ntXiWQ#5958020709994893250

A link to a good picture of the adult non-breeding Glossy Ibis can be
found at this link for comaprison.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Glossy_Ibis/id

Anyone wishing copies of the raw TIF files may email me and I will
gladly send them.

--
Monte Phillips
Texas city, TX

  Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must
have somebody to divide it with.
Mark Twain