[texbirds] Re: looking for the Elegant Tern on "the upper Texas Coast"

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:59:42 -0400 (EDT)

Martin and All,

Just a reminder that the last UTC Elegant Tern was seen at East Beach at
the base of the south jetty on Nov 3 or 4th until around the 18th of  2001.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 9/18/2013 8:54:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Dear  All,
Sheridan and I were going to go to the coast last Sunday anyway, so we
decided to go to Quintana, guessing that the bird was seen in the area.   As it
turns (terns?) out Ron Weeks had the same thoughts, and we teamed up  with
him, checking the beach from Bryan Beach up to the end of Follett's  Island,
without success.    We had an enjoyable day at a location we  get to far
too rarely.  I have heard that Mark spends a great deal of  time on this
stretch of coast, and the only bit we did not check was the  Brazos rivermouth
since the beach road was too dodgy for our small cars.   If it's still around,
I'll wager that the ELTE is in this area, and the best  spot looked to be
south of the Quintana jetty, as this had by far the most  terns loafing on
the beach, with a steady "ternover" of Royal, Sandwich,  Forster's, Common,
Caspian, Least, and Black terns (in descending order of  abundance)...
Otherwise I'd go for Bryan Beach and the rivermouth, If I  could get there.
I suppose the next best spot would be both sides of San  Luis Pass or
Bolivar Flats.  If it is hanging around, it could move up  and down the coast
some degree.
Maybe someone will re-find it and share  the location...
Good luck,
Martin
---
Martin Reid
San  Antonio
www.martinreid.com

Edit your Freelists  account settings for TEXBIRDS at
//www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner