[texbirds] hummingbird feeders at Smith Point

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:35:09 -0500

Texbirders,

 It has come to my attention that the hummingbird feeders at Smith Point
are becoming a point of contention. Visitors have apparently moved them
around to own satisfaction, tied things to them to keep them at a certain
angle for photographs and even blocked the holes so the hummers couldn't
feed but would still keep coming in to try (also for photographs). We have
only one counter at Smith Point and he has to do everything - count the
birds, talk to and keep track of visitor's, sell t-shirts, etc. He doesn't
have time to watch what everyone is doing and make sure proper etiquette is
followed. We put the hummingbird feeders there as extra entertainment for
visitor's but that doesn't mean they are free game. Please, please leave
the feeders alone or at least ask if you want to move one to another
location for a better view of the birds. Under no circumstances are they to
be manipulated for better photography. Honestly would you go to a visitor
center somewhere and move their feeders around, tie things to them, block
the holes for photographs? If not, why would you do this at Smith Point?

 Also, please respect the personal property of the hawk counter (including
his scope). When using expensive optics that aren't yours, always ask for
permission first!

 Thanks for listening. Sorry to rant but I'm pretty frustrated about this.

 Sue

 Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm