[texbirds] fw: [LABIRD-L] Razorbills, maybe other pelagics, headed our way

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:59:31 -0600

Heads up.
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
jarvin@xxxxxxxx
www.gcbo.org

Austin, Texas

 From: "Steven W. Cardiff" <scardif@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:34 PM
To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Razorbills, maybe other pelagics, headed our way

Labirders-
FYI from Andy Kratter in Florida:

*From:* Kratter,Andrew W [kratter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:11 PM*
Subject:* razorbills headed your way

The Razorbill incursion has passed Florida's Atlantic coast in the 100s,
gone around the south tip of Florida, proceeded north  up the  Gulf Coast
of Florida and now has reached Pensacola. Alabama, Mississippi and
Louisiana are the next frontiers. There were formerly 17 records of
Razorbill in Florida; 400 have been reported by some observers on one boat
trip and there are stunning photos of lines of a flock of >25 passing by
in
front of condos on Miami Beach!  Also one Thick-billed Murre.  The RAZO
specimens are piling up (about 15 at last count). Countless more are
coming
no doubt. I guess Hurricane Sandy wrecked foraging habitat in their usual
wintering range off New England, New York, and Jersey.

Andy