[texbirds] Re: fw: [LABIRD-L] La. Brown Pelican with red pouch

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jarvin@xxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:25:34 -0500 (EST)

John I always thought the red pouches showed the genetic connection with the
Pacific pelicans. I know banding observations showed Texas Brown Pelicans went
to California. So maybe Pacific Brown Pelicans came to Texas and liked it here.
I wonder if they see black pouched birds out there in their colonies

Winnie Burkett
Friendswood & the Bolivar Peninsula

From: "Dave Patton" <wdpatton@xxxxxxx>
ent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:08 AM
o: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ubject: [LABIRD-L] La. Brown Pelican with red pouch
Labird,
ecent field guides say that red pouches on Brown Pelicans are a feature
een on the west coast of the US. Our gulf coast Brown Pelicans have dark
ouches. I check the birds on the jetties when I take my boat to Cameron
nd look for bands on Pelicans. We would occasionally see red pouches on
rown Pelicans, and last Sunday, I photographed one with a color band. The
rinted code could be read in the photo, and yesterday I got a response to
he report.
t was banded on Rabbit Island, Cameron Parish, 7/31/07, too young to fly,
y James Harris, Southeast Louisiana Refuges. So, some Louisiana origin
rown Pelicans have red pouches.
hoto:
ttp://www.pbase.com/pattonpix/redpouch
Dave Patton