[texbirds] Re: e-bird question- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 07:50:30 -0600

This is my 12th year of leading birding tours for the King Ranch.  At the
start of all my tour I tell the group that everyone is entitled to three
'stick birds' per trip, including the guide.  I have been known to call a
Javelina a turkey, and a turkey a Javelina.  I first learned that
philosophy from a guide many years when I was a beginning birder.  The
guide was Roger Tory Peterson.  Didn't bother him at all to make a
mistake.  It WOULD bother him to not correct a mistake.
But I have also been in the field with a few 'guides' who will not even
call people's attention to a bird until they are absolutely sure what it
is.  A few of those are well known 'experts'.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind at all when someone questions my ID.
That questioning serves two purposes:  It allows a correction to be made if
the ID was in error, and/or provides an opportunity to discuss the ID
process.  We all learn from that.

Perhaps a diplomatic way to deal with it is to ask, "Why are you calling
that a Song Sparrow instead of a Savannah Sparrow?"

Bottom line - a good guide should never get offended by someone questioning
their ID.  If they are, they need to do something else.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM, <MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> what's the ethical thing to do when you're on a  bird
> walk/tour and the leader makes what you KNOW is a wrong call?  Just  let it
> go?
>

> Mary Beth  Stowe
> McAllen, TX
> _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein