[texbirds] Re: e-bird question- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:19:03 -0600

Firstly, I want to state that I think EBird is a very useful tool for
birders of all skill levels.  And I agree that the quality of work
performed by the reviewers is excellent.  I much prefer the data to be
accurate rather than timely.
However, I quit using EBird for my own sightings because the location
options are too rigid, and do not meet my needs.  And I do not have the
time nor the inclination to maintain two separate databases.

In EBird any child location can have only a single parent.  Pintail Lakes
have Santa Ana NWR as their parent.  Santa has Hildago County as its
parent.  Hildago has Texas as its parent.

I have an oak motte on a private ranch.  The ranch is the parent.  But I
also have other oak mottes in other locations.  And I have a 'parent' named
oak mottes.  All of my oak mottes are a child of that single parent,
regardless of where the individual oak motte is located.

I do a lot of work on the King Ranch.  There are four different divisions
spread across multiple counties.  Although each division has a county as a
parent, I also have a parent called 'King Ranch'.

The two examples above are fairly simplistic.  I have some other
relationships that are quite complex.  But I actively use those
relationships. I may want to look at all of my King Ranch data.  Or all of
my oak motte data.  I may want to compare pond data with stream data.

And - I use that complex location data for multiple taxa:  Mammals,
reptiles, amphibians, fishes, odonates, butterflies, orthopterans, etc.

And all of those data are fully integrated.

I currently cannot do any of those things with EBird.

--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein