[texbirds] ebird maps are incorrect in Galveston Bay near Harris County (local Century Club interest only)

  • From: "Berner Family" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:04:08 -0800

Texbirders who are Harris/Chambers/Galveston County ebirders and county listers.

Be aware that the ebird maps (and probably the source google maps) have
incorrect county boundaries in Galveston Bay near Morgan's Point, La Porte,
Shoreacres, Seabrook etc.

I first reported this problem to Cornell as far back as 2009 but have not been
able to get anything changed thus far.

I contacted Cornell again tonight. I am hoping they will send me the Lat/Long
points being currently used in the ebird program to define the various counties
in Galveston Bay  in a spreadsheet so I can fix them--but we'll see if they can
help me help them get it fixed. This was a potential solution discussed with
them in the past.

In the mean time--I am reviewing photos and detailed notes for local rarities
near harris County such as the white-winged scoter off McHale park for
ebird--even though the approved observations will show up incorrectly in Harris
County (until this long-running map error is fixed).

For those who care about such things (probably 5% of those of you reading this
unfortunately) --you may want to accurately remember where you see local
rarities near McHale Park. Also remember if you saw a bird on/over land or
in/over the water for the rest of the Harris County coastline

In general all the water off of the Harris County coast from Morgan's Point all
the way to just N. of McHale Park is actually in Chambers County (but ebird
calls it Harris County).

However near McHale Park (end of 10th street in Seabrook) things are
complicated.
The very close to shore water  (first 50-100 ft of water or about 200 feet from
Toddville rd) is in Harris County, middle distance water(100 to 1000 feet from
end of 10th street/McHale Park) is in Galveston County and all water about 1000
feet or further is in Chambers County.

Mapquest is the only map program that shows accurate county
boundaries--including this area, but most of the world including ebird uses
Google.

In the past I have seen similar google/ebird map boundary problems with the
US-Mexico border near Salineno.

If I can finally get the problem fixed in 2015, I will post to Texbirds.

In the mean time for those who care, I will add 2 new subhotspots for McHale
Park in the correct locations so if the counties ever do get fixed sightings
will automatically move from Harris County to the right county.

thanks
John Berner
ebird Harris County admin/County Line nerd
W. Houston

[texbirds] White-winged Scoter at Seabrook - McHale Park - Galveston County
waters
From: Chuck Davis <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:23:23 -0600

About 1:30 this afternoon, I observed the previously reported White-winged
Scoter from McHale Park in Seabrook. The Scoter was about 300 yards out
into the bay.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8579/15586230804_0b07c30a9f_o.png

Of interest to county listers: Although McHale Park itself is in Harris
County, and most of Galveston Bay near Seabrook is in Chambers County, Ron
Weeks alerted me to the fact that a small loop of Galveston County extends
north of the mouth of Clear Creek such that the near shore waters off
McHale Park are in Galveston County. See Mapquest to view the county lines.

Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S21209802

Chuck Davis
La Porte, TX

The Berners