[texbirds] ebird hotspot problem (response to "ebird changes?"Texbirds post from August 1

  • From: J B <renreb1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 22:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders, Vicki C. (& other ebirders):

As the ebird hotspot editor for Texas since 2007, I too was frustrated that
some other "editor" had taken it upon themselves to rename many of the ebird
hotspots in Galveston and Houston (and in a rather random way as Vicki
Cruchfield found out). I have complained to Cornell and although no one has
taken "credit" for these changes-- hopefully they will stop.

My general theme is to have Galveston in the beginning of the title of the
hotspot followed by the area or street. The last part of the hotspot has the
Code from
the Great Texas Wildlife Trails e.g. Galveston- Harborside at 51st
wetlands (UTC 064) .  The goal is to have Galveston hotspots alphabetically
close to each other. There is a similar system in San Antonio and other cities.

I plan to try to rename the hotspots using my previous system over the next
week when i find time. My aplogies for the confusion.

Hopefully by the end of the week i will have fixed the 50+ problem names.
Thanks for you patience.

John Berner
west Houston