[texbirds] eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Mar 28, 2012

  • From: Mark and Joanie Hubinger <mjhubrr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:51:59 -0400

Hi Texbirders...a good morning for our "personal" last birdwalk of the
season.  We soon leave for Michigan.  It has been our pleasure leading
birdwalks here at Santa Ana NWR for the last 4 months!  9 people joined us
this morning for some good birds:  We flushed a LESSER NIGHTHAWK off a tree
on our way out to Pintail Lakes, with 11 duck species to view.  At Willow
Lakes/Chachalaca Trail were the following: COMMON PAURAQUE, RINGED
KINGFISHER, NORTHERN-BEARDLESS TYRANNULET,  and LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH.

Volunteers, Major & Mary Sansam will lead birdwalks at 8:30AM Thursday,
Friday & Saturday (the last of the season)...come out and join them for a
walk in the refuge.  Many Bobcat sightings lately as well.  The Hawk Watch
continues daily 8:00AM - 1:00PM from the levee.

Santa Ana NWR is looking for more people to lead birdwalks next season.  If
interested, please email refuge manager, Jennifer Owen-White at
jennifer_owenwhite@xxxxxxx

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!
Mark & Joanie Hubinger
USFWS Volunteers
Alamo, Texas

Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, US-TX
Mar 28, 2012 8:30 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     pintail & willow Lakes
76 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  11
Gadwall  30
American Wigeon  30
Mottled Duck  6
Blue-winged Teal  50
Cinnamon Teal  6
Northern Shoveler  40
Northern Pintail  1
Redhead  12     5 males, 7 females
Ring-necked Duck  1
Ruddy Duck  2
Plain Chachalaca  12
Least Grebe  30
Pied-billed Grebe  6
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Little Blue Heron  2
White Ibis  1
White-faced Ibis  4
Turkey Vulture  1
Harris's Hawk  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Crested Caracara  2
Common Gallinule  2
American Coot  200
Killdeer  3
Black-necked Stilt  12
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  4
Least Sandpiper  8
Long-billed Dowitcher  7
Forster's Tern  2
Mourning Dove  8
Common Ground-Dove  2
White-tipped Dove  4
Lesser Nighthawk  1
Common Pauraque  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Ringed Kingfisher  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  10
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  4
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet  1
Great Kiskadee  6
Couch's Kingbird  6
Loggerhead Shrike  1
White-eyed Vireo  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Green Jay  8
Tree Swallow  X
Black-crested Titmouse  4
Carolina Wren  8
House Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Clay-colored Thrush  1
Northern Mockingbird  6
Long-billed Thrasher  6
European Starling  2
Louisiana Waterthrush  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
Northern Parula  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Olive Sparrow  12
Savannah Sparrow  3
Lincoln's Sparrow  1
Swamp Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  100
Great-tailed Grackle  12
Bronzed Cowbird  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Altamira Oriole  4
House Sparrow  X

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds