[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - EBird & Trails Update

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:17:29 -0600

Yesterday evening a Northern Parula landed quite close to me as I walked
the tram road between Mesquite and South Mexican Olive.  This morning a
number of Common Yellowthroats were active at the far end of Quail Loop on
the south end of the park, as were several Lincoln's Sparrows.

After yesterday's rain I recommend Coyote Trail over Hunter's Lane to reach
Yellowthroat, Quail or White-winged Dove trails.  All trails except Ebony,
South Mexican Olive and Kiskadee will be muddy today but should dry quickly
and be in great shape before the weekend.

--
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host

Bird Walks every Saturday - 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Butterfly Walks every Sunday - 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Night Hikes every Friday (must RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
Nature Tram Rides - Wednesday thru Sunday in March
                            - Thursday thru Sunday in April

http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

DIRECTIONS:  The main entrance to Resaca de la Palma State Park is located
on New Carmen Blvd. From Expressway 77/83, exit at Olmito, take FM 1732,
follow for 2.5 miles; turn left at New Carmen Road; follow for 1.5 miles;
shortly after the gravel hump in the road, turn left to enter the park.

*Learn how you can help Texas State Parks:*  http://bit.ly/sVdilb

48 species (+1 other taxa)
Gadwall  2
American Wigeon  4
Mottled Duck  15
Blue-winged Teal  6
Plain Chachalaca  10
Least Grebe  1
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Neotropic Cormorant  4
Double-crested Cormorant  3
American White Pelican  120
Great Blue Heron  4
Turkey Vulture  6
Osprey  2
White-tailed Kite  4
American Coot  3
Killdeer  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Laughing Gull  4
Caspian Tern  1
Mourning Dove  5
Inca Dove  3
White-tipped Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  7
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Great Kiskadee  5
Couch's Kingbird  9
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird  2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2
White-eyed Vireo  1
Green Jay  11
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  4
Barn Swallow  4
Cliff Swallow  2
Carolina Wren  3
Northern Mockingbird  10
Long-billed Thrasher  3
Common Yellowthroat  8
Olive Sparrow  6
Vesper Sparrow  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  3
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  34
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Great-tailed Grackle  16
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Hooded Oriole  2

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds