[texbirds] birds and upcoming birdwalks at the Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park, Bellaire

  • From: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 18:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

There have been a stead flow of small numbers of migrants reported at the
Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park, Bellaire over the past week.  For
the most part these were sightings of 1 or 2 people/day for 20-30 mins of
birding.  I expect with the predicted rain this coming week in the Houston area
we will see more migrants.

Our FREE "Lunch with the Birds" birdwalks will begin this coming Wednesday,
Sept 18th from noon to about 1:15.  The will continue every Wednesday through
November 6th, 2013.  Please feel free to join us!

Russ Pitman Park is located at 7112 Newcastle between Bellaire Blvd and
Evergreen St just inside Loop 610 in Bellaire TX.

Besides the usual resident birds we have had the following migrants over the
last week or so:

9/14/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummers
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Black & White Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Hooded Warbler

9/13/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummer - 1F
Great Crested Flycatcher -2
Canada Warbler
Hooded Warber
Ovenbird
Yellow-breasted Chat

9/12/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummers
Great Crested Flycatcher
American Redstart

9/11/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummers
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Black-throated Green Warbler
Hooded Warbler

9/10/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummers
Great Crested Flycatcher -2
Eastern Wood-Pewee -3
Empid - 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers -4
Blue-winged Warbler - 1
Black & White Warbler -1
Canada W - 1m
Hooded Warbler - 1m

9/9/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummers
Great Crested Flycatcher -2
Eastern Wood-Pewee -3
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers -4
Black & White Warbler -1
Worm-eating Warbler - 1
Hooded Warbler - 1m

9/7/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummer 1-2F
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Warbling Vireo
Black & White Warbler -1
Canada Warbler - 1m
American Redstart

9/6/13
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummer 1-2F
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Hooded Warbler - 1m
Summer Tanager - 1F

Happy birding!

Mary Ann Beauchemin
Senior Naturalist & Park Steward
Nature Discovery Center
mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
713-667-6550 (phone)
713-667-7654 (fax)

For more information about the Nature Discovery Center, our programs and how
you can support our work, visit www.naturediscoverycenter.org