[texbirds] Laguna Atascosa NWR

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:47:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Was pleasantly surprised that, despite the threat of major rain today, the
birding at Laguna Atascosa was relatively dry!  Was very happy to bag Barn
Owl for the year on the way out there, and picked up some unique things for
the  day along General Brant Road, such as a calling Great Crested
Flycatcher,  several Black-bellied Whistling Ducks flying over, a cackling
Least
Bittern, and  a Roseate Spoonbill.  Someone had asked me if I knew the
condition of the  road (they had heard rumors that they had paved over the
thing):
well, I  can now give a qualified answer: AWFUL!  They HAVE posted a 30 mph
speed  limit all along that stretch, however, and you can hone your driving
skills by  playing Dodge the Pothole both coming and going...  A lot of
stuff was  singing along the entrance road, and I was very happy to hear a
definitive Alder  Flycatcher calling for the year!  A female/young Blue
Grosbeak
was at the  same stop, and a young Harris' Hawk was at the Visitor's Center.

The rains brought some good water to the seasonal wetlands, but there
weren't a whole lot of shorebirds; had the usual Willets, Black-bellied and
Semipal Plovers, peeps (some were too distant to discern Western or
Semipalmated), a Greater Yellowlegs, and a handful of Ruddy Turnstones.  A
flock of
Groove-billed Anis flew across the road early on, and was pleased to  hear a
Cassin's Sparrow still singing (Olive Sparrows were out the yin yang,
including one that decided to sit up)!  Along the bay side of the loop a  white
morph Reddish Egret danced around, and the standard raptors (Caracara,
White-tailed Hawk, and Osprey) all made appearances.  A climb up Redhead  Ridge
added song-battling White-eyed Vireos and a couple of migrating Eastern
Kingbirds.

Ran into a couple of deluges along the route, but they didn't last long;
the minute the rain let up the Bewick's Wrens and Verdins were in full
voice!  Back at the VC enjoyed the jays and White-tipped Doves at the  feeders
(along with a couple of Mexican Ground Squirrels) and a Ladder-backed
Woodpecker showed off well along the Kiskadee Trail.  Not many migrants  except
for
the Alder, Great Crested, kingbirds, and a couple of Yellow Warblers,
though.  Oh, had a couple of flyover Dickcissels...

Barely made it back to the car before the next deluge hit!  Got to  drive
home in a bunch of it... :-P  Was surprised I got any pictures at all
considering the weather:  those and some recordings are here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/September/Lagun
a%20Atascosa%20NWR.html

Bird List (not included are the Barn Owl, Pauraque, and Swainson's Hawk I
had in transit):

Laguna Atascosa NWR (LTC 024), Cameron, US-TX
Sep 14, 2013 7:07 AM -  11:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
21.6 mile(s)
Comments:      75 degrees; route starts along General Brant Road and
includes Bayside Drive;  mostly cloudy with scattered showers, some heavy.
70 species (+1 other  taxa)
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  30
Mottled Duck   4
Blue-winged Teal  8