[texbirds] Re: better photos of King Ranch dilute plumage Harris's Hawk

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 18:48:22 -0600

Some folks have privately questioned my Semi-palmated Sandpiper sighting.
That's fine, I don't blame them, and I certainly am not insisting that my
ID was correct.  But I thought I would at least share my thought processes,
so that others may learn (including the horrible mistake I made of not
taking a picture).
The bird was feeding at the edge of the water.  When I first looked at it,
it did not register what it was.  I even told the other folks that I was
puzzled.  But - I DID know several things that it was not.

I see hundreds of Western and Least Sandpipers, and immediately dismissed
those possibilities.  I also regularly see solitary and spotted, and
dismissed those.  Baird's and White-rumped were also quickly dismissed.

We were discussing what it might be, and I was mentally going through the
list of smaller sandpipers, and regularly saying why I didn't think it
wasn't such and such.  I didn't even think of Semi-palmated until another
birder, looking through the field guide, mentioned it.  As soon as he did,
it clicked.

About the lack of a photo.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't even think of
it.  The rarity didn't occur to me until later.