[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk in Junction

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:38:20 -0500

With Fort Worth Audubon coming to town this weekend I spent the morning
scouting for some target species, one of which was Zone-tailed Hawk. I hadn't
yet observed one this year so I headed out southwest of town toward Telegraph
on H377 (state park, Bailey Creek Canyon and every other canyon toward
Telegraph) and back and all I observed were Turkey & Black Vultures, 1 sharpie
and a couple of Red-shouldered Hawks but no Zone-tailed Hawk. I drove 15 miles
back to town disappointed with that and my son was at the house eating lunch
and gazing out the window and he says "Dad, a black looking hawk just flew
across the window with white bars in its tail"--I go outside and a Zone-tailed
Hawk  soaring not 50' over my house which is on H377 here in town. Go figure. I
always tell visiting birders that I see the Zone-tailed Hawk right over
Junction more than any other place. I think they like to eat the town
squirrels, small kitties (there is plenty of them!) or pick off an occasional
Barn Swallow.
Other birds today:

Junction Tennis Center I had great looks at 2, possible 3, Bullock's Orioles.
Other birds included good number of Clay-colored Sparrows (more coming
everyday), Vermilion Flycatcher and increasing numbers of Scissortail
Flycatchers, Bell's Vireo et al.

At South Llano River State Park 6-7 Black-capped Vireo (including active nest,
but I'll never tell but might show you!), Black & White Warbler (3),
Golden-cheeked Warbler (heard 5 different birds but I don't bother chasing
them), Hutton's Vireo right on the trail and singing constantly, Ash-throated
Flycatcher, Bell's Vireo and number of other species including FOS Painted
Bunting at Agarita Blind.

At Junction Sale Barn on H83N I had 2 Yellow-headed Blackbirds (20 in a flock
earlier in week), 1 Pyrrhuloxia, 1 Scott's Oriole and a nice, close Canyon Wren.

At Junction Wastewater Facility you can see Baird's Sandpiper almost any day in
good numbers, also Least Sandpiper and Pectoral Sandpiper. Up until yesterday 3
American Golden Plover were present--they departed. The furtherest pond from
the entrance is the best.

RE: BCVI nest. It is at an intersection of two trails in the park. This weekend
probably 100 or more park visitors will walk 10' from the nest and they will
never know it. The birds keep on doing their business. I will strictly
supervise any viewing or picture taking.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.