[texbirds] Young Co. Graham area...Local interest only

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:20:22 -0500

*************************************************************************************************************
 Made an early morning walkabout a big tree residential area finding
little of interest but lots of Am. Robin song and an E. Wood-Pewee.
Tried to bird Shawnee Park with its beautiful big old trees but found
the nearby traffic noise unbearable as I am highly dependent on "ear
birding".

  Went up to the nearby Graham Lk. for a couple of hours.  It was
pretty slow but there are always a few highlights no matter where one
birds.  On this date it is sometimes hard to know what is on territory
and what is migrant...No warblers except for two male Yellow Warblers
and a common Yellowthroat around the lake edge....Since Yellows
historically bred in Texas, I have to wonder about these late birds
and I am pretty sure this lake and similar locations rarely get birded
in the summer post migration.

Some other lake area birds:

Pied-billed Grebe 2
Blk.-crowned Night-Herons 2
Miss. Kites  6 various locations, strafing tree tops.
Black-necked Stilt 2
Black Terns 5-6
Eastern Kingbirds 2
Bell's Vireo 1
Cedar Waxwings ~10 (these were in Shawnee Park...They often linger into June.)
Summer Tanager 2

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/