[texbirds] Yellow-throated Vireo at Lake Six

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:50:42 -0500

Greetings All:
I will post all of the highlights from today's adventure later but this
seemed particularly noteworthy. A singing Yellow-throated Vireo (heard
over and over again for about fifteen minutes, glimpsed briefly) was moving
from tall tree to tall tree in the mesquite flats above Lake Six late this
morning. I was unable to get a photograph and thirty minutes of searching
after the voice faded out (in the direction of the river below Lake Six)
were unsuccessful. Past records of Yellow-throated Vireo have featured
several multi-day records ... and several records have come from the
riparian woodlands below Lake Six.

These are the mesquite flats through which bike trails wind and while
hiking is allowed on these trails, bikes do have right of way - so be
careful out there:) These flats are generally good for migrants and in
some springs, including this one, fantastic for both wildflowers and
butterflies. Over twenty species of wildflower are currently in bloom and
close to that many species of butterfly were flitting about.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock