[texbirds] Re: Yellow-billed Cuckoos in the Lubbock area

  • From: "Charles W. Easley" <cwebirds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:47:12 -0600

All:  No doubt that better records keeping in the past years have helped us
better understand
the entire migration picture.  I remember well when we had few reporters in
the Panhandle, now
look at the quality of the reporters there and how much detail is put into
record keeping.  This is,
I believe due to Texbirds, E-bird and the recently started, a few years now,
"Texas Century Club".
Back in the 60's and 70's we kept general records of 1st sightings or
so-called "lifers", but as we
traveled the counties of Texas to see every court house and photograph each
one, I did not keep
a county list, let alone specific dates when I saw birds in each county. I
have kept a Johnson County
list, as well as lists in other well birded counties. I make no attempt to
search my brain for records
that I had 40 years ago, so most counties in Texas that I have birded in
will remain blank on any
of the afore mentioned lists.  Trust me, I commend Anthony, D.D., Dell,
Sheridan, Dan and countless
others for the record keeping they are doing.  Keep it up, it's in good
hands. Your labor is appreciated.

Charles Easley
cwebirds@xxxxxxx
Cleburne, Johnson County, Texas