[texbirds] Re: Yellow Rail on SPI

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:18:49 -0500

Hi Mary Beth,
Perhaps. But so far there has never been a verified sighting of Yellow Rail
south of the coastal bend (more or less Aransas County). I know there have
been other anecdotal reports like this one at that site - and this sounds
like one of the better ones-  but the fact remains there is almost zero
habitat suitable for Yellow Rail at that location. Perhaps, if one
invasions a migrant from farther south (where?) then the available habitat
is good enough. Who knows? Not to squash a potentially important record,
jca
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory